1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer not working....motherboard fried?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gary335, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gary335

Gary335 Thread Starter

I was given a computer the other day, and the woman who gave it to me told me that it would power up but that it would not do anything else (no video, no beeps, etc.). She said it had been hit by lightning which she suspects is the cause of the problem. So I take it down to my workshop and start working on it. I turn it on, and as she said it powers up, but there is no video on the monitor, no beeps, nothing. I also noticed that the CPU fan is not spinning, so I quickly shut the system off. This is a P4 socket 478 motehrboard by the way. So I take both of the power connectors off the board, look them over, and reattach them. I turn the computer back on, and much to my surprise it boots! I was able to get into Windows and everything. However, I shut it back down, and have not since been able to get it to boot again.

I want to beleive that the motherboard is bad, but I want to be certain that it is before I replace it. So, does it sound like the mother board is bad? Or perhaps something else is wrong? It would be great if I could avoid having to replace anything, and since I was able to get it to boot once, I'm optimistic that I may be able to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If there was lightning strike damage, then you can expect more than just the motherboard to be damaged. But since you dont give any make and model system, it is hard to say whether it woul be worth the expense of replacing the motherboard.

3. Gary335

Gary335 Thread Starter

Nope, everything else seeems to work fine-the hard drives, the video card, modem, ethernet card, sound card, RAM. The only thing not working is the CPU fan. Keep in mind I said I was able to get it to boot once.

The system is an E-Machines-I am unsure of the model, but it has a 1.6GHz socket 478 P4 processor, 256MB Ram, 40GB HD, 32MB AGP Video card.

4. Gary335

Gary335 Thread Starter

Anyone else have any ideas?

5. rhynes

rhynes

Do you have a spare power supply kicking around? Try it.

6. courtlandhui

courtlandhui

Rhynes, i was about to say that, since it probably is the problem. Try getting one of those power reader (forget what its called) and just plug them up to the power supply. But a cheap power supply these days plentiful (specially on the streets).

7. rhynes

rhynes

ah hah, another mythbusters fan eh? You must be talking multimeter.?

8. Gary335

Gary335 Thread Starter

I have tried using another power supply which I really thought was the solution, but unfortunately I got the same thing-power, but no video, CPU Fan, beeps, or anything else.

9. rhynes

rhynes

Try reseating everything, unplug the all the drives and try it again.
    If that don't work, pull the video card and see if it beeps.
    pull the ram and see if it beeps.
    lastly, yank the cpu and see if it beeps.

after that, pull board and toss :)

10. Gary335

Gary335 Thread Starter

I've pulled everything except the CPU, and there was no beeps at all. I will try pulling out the CPU and see what happens.

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I would salvage usable components and call it a day. Replacing a motherboard on an Emachines is going to cost more than the entire system is worth. Remember Emachines is the bottom of the line Gateway line. This is why they were so cheap at Walmart for so many years. You would spend a couple hundred dollars buying a Mobo from Emachines, and all you are going to get is either a ECS or PC Chips Mobo.

How ever if the CPU is still good, and the Hard drives and such, there is a source of upgrades to a different machine.

12. Gary335

Gary335 Thread Starter

well, I tried pulling out the CPU, and got no reaction at all from the computer.

I have an ATX case that I'm not using, so I'm just going to buy a mobo and put it in that, and I'll just use the equipment from the E-Machines system, since it all works.

If anyone else has any ideas, I'm still open to hearing them.

13. courtlandhui

courtlandhui

Sounds like a good idea. Buy a REALLY cheap mobo see what happens.
    @rhynes, yes a m.b. fan. FTW!

14. Gary335

Gary335 Thread Starter

Yeah I don't want to spend anymore than I have to, especially if that ends up not solving the problem.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/492419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice