1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer off for GOOD this time(power supply?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Enthoozed, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enthoozed

Enthoozed Thread Starter

I had posted last week about my CPU which would power down and turn off, then back on for a second or two, then off again, over and over. Now it won't even turn on. I took the power supply out and had a geek guy at best buy check it and he said the voltage coming off of the power wires for the drives was at 5 or so volts when it should be at 12. When he hotwired it the fan at least came on which was more than I got. But he said he's not entirely sure it's the power supply and not the motherboard. If the voltage is wrong then i would think for sure it's the supply. The other thing is a little green light on the motherboard comes on when it's plugged in, but that might still operate with the low voltage(?). I wanted to get a new supply tonight if this is what it is. My comp is a Dell Dimension 4600 and the power supply that best buy carried looked to be the same size with the screw holes in a similar configuration, even though this same dude said Dell sometimes needs a specific supply that matches a Dell because of size and layout issues. Should I just drop the $56 and get one or could it possibly be something else that is going wrong?

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice