Solved computer on, screen black

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kanadesaga

I recently pulled an old computer, an emachines with windows 7 out of storage. I have checked the monitor, it works fine, I have checked the cable, it is fine (brand new). I'm going to be using it for limited functions, but I do need the interface. Any ideas?

Does it have a discrete video card? You may need to open it up and reseat the Video card , memory and all electrical plugs.

kanadesaga

Does it have a discrete video card? You may need to open it up and reseat the Video card , memory and all electrical plugs.
I'm an old analog guy, I have no idea what a "discrete video card" is But I'm not afraid to open her up. I'll give it a try and let you know.

plodr

Liz
It's easy to tell just by looking at the back of the case. Is there more than 1 video connector?

(I'm an old gal and way back when I was younger, I installed my first video card. It was probably a Windows 95 computer. I made the typical newbie mistake - I attached the monitor to the onboard graphics and couldn't figure out why I had no display. :confused: It took me several hours before I realized what I had done. I then put masking tape over the video connector I didn't want to use. Instant display!)

crjdriver

Many old emachines have a bestec pw supply. Those were very low quality and caused many catastrophic failures. If [after reseating parts] you still have the problem, the pw supply would be the first place to start.

kanadesaga

Okay, I took the side off, I took the front off and saw a lot of dust bunnies, I aired them out then removed the hard drive/CD drive cluster, which opened the whole motherboard, I pushed just about everything sticking up, nothing seemed to move. Put it all back together and reconnected it, viola! display. I want to thank all of you for your assistance. I know I only post here when I have a problem, but as you can probably tell, I'm not that adept at computer. Again, thank you all.

crjdriver

You are welcome. If you do have a bestec pw supply in that system, I would highly recommend replacing it with at least a budget corsair ie the CX series.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online