1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer on standby????

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Hadrian, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hadrian

Hadrian Thread Starter

Hi everyone!! Here's my problem for the evening: My neice has a HP Pavilion 7935 running Windows XP. She cannot use the computer because it appears to be stuck in sleep mode. If we try to cold boot.....the tower acts like it is loading, but the monitor stays dark....and the light on the monitor turns from green to orange after about 10 seconds and clicks as if it is shutting off. I've tried pressing keys, and switching to a different monitor. She even went out and bought a new vid card. Nothing helps. What's the problem??? What's the fix??

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Its most likely that the unit is not booting, therefore there is nothing to display.

Does the tower unit make any beeps?
    A single beep indicates the start of the boot process, any others indicate what type of error there is.

So if there are no beeps, nothing is happening.
    Could be a host of things, from CPU upwards.

3. pileyrei

pileyrei

Hello

Sound like a problem with the Hard disk if its not booting up.
    Is it possible to put a hard disk from another pc you know works into this machine and try booting? Or vice versa.

That way you could determine if its the hard disk.

Just a suggestion.

Good Luck

Pileyrei

4. Hadrian

Hadrian Thread Starter

HI! The computer boots fine. The monitor doesn't stay on long enough to warm up so that you can see an image. It doesn't warm up but the light turns from green to orange (meaning "standby mode"). As long as the monitor is dark....I can't even pull up any menus or anything. My neice says that about 1 year ago....she had to send the tower in for some kind of repair. I have a Pavilion also and have only had the power supply replaced once in almost four years.

5. Hadrian

Hadrian Thread Starter

Correction....the computer doesn't boot fine. Nono of the keys work. It's as if the computer is off. The twoer appears to be "on".....but nothing happens.

6. pileyrei

pileyrei

Hmmm :confused:

Now you've got me stumped.

Normally I would suggest changing the monitor but you have already done that. Also try a new video card but you've already done that.

Perhaps the settings on the monitor/pc are too high?
    How long does it take before the monitor switches off?
    Have you got Windows XP,Windows 2000...?

Try tapping F8 a few times (say once every 3 seconds) while the pc boots up. Does the monitor stay on? If so you should have a menu with safe mode as an option. If so, choose safe mode. Log in and change your video settings. Eg change it back to 800x600 and a lower refresh rate.

Not sure if this helps...let me know!

Good Luck

Pileyrei

7. pileyrei

pileyrei

Just saw your update...so ignore my last post please.
    So maybe its the hard drive then?
    Have you got another working hard drive you can try putting in the tower?

Pileyrei

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169141

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice