1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer online, but IE not connecting

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by robertsac, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robertsac

robertsac Thread Starter

I recently replaced the hard drive on my Dell Inspiron 5100. After reinstalling Windows XP, I'm now trying to get online. The machine is online (cable modem)- I see the little Local Area Connection icon that shows it's connected. However, when I open Internet Explorer, it shows the page cannot be displayed. I'm stumped as to how to get IE to recognize the connection. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Your network connection is probably not getting a DNS server entry. Go to Start > Run and enter cmd. Type in IPCONFIG /ALL and post back the results. If there is no DNS server entry this is your problem.

3. robertsac

robertsac Thread Starter

Ok. Originally I had it set to detect the IP automatically. When I did ipconfig /all, it came back with no IP address (so evidently it's not detecting it). I get
    Primary DNS suffix ........................ :
    Node Type: ..........................: Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled: ..................: No
    WINS Proxy Enabled: ................ No

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: ....................:
    Description:...................: Broadcom 440X 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Physical Address............: 00-0D-56-33-B4-17
    Dhcp Enabled.............:Yes
    Autoconfiguration ENabled.................:Yes
    IP Address..................:0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask................:0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway....................:
    DHCP Server...........: 255.255.255.255

4. robertsac

robertsac Thread Starter

So evidently it's not getting the DNS server entry. Can you give me some guidance on how to remedy this? Thanks!

5. Rockn

Rockn

You aren't even getting an IP address from your DHCP server which is telling me you are not connected to your router either. All the local area connection is telling you is that there is a cable plugged into your network adapter.

6. robertsac

robertsac Thread Starter

Hmm...I'm not really sure where to go from here. So, when the local area connection icon shows me "packets" are being sent and received, that doesn't actually mean that it's communicating with the cable modem?

7. rikko

rikko

When I was setting up my DSL modem I had a similar prolem. I have a DLink router and the DSL tech guy had me run the router Wizard. About the third page I needed to enter my username and password from my DSL provider. Then my connection worked.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice