1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer only booting in safe mode... Blank after loading screen on normal restart.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BCMusic, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BCMusic

BCMusic Thread Starter

I have recently used Driver Genius to update some drivers and had a power outage while installing the video card drivers. After the power was restored I could not boot normally (it would go blank after the loading screen goes away before the log on screen comes up.) So I boot into safe mode and install the drivers there, and then restart. It worked after about 12 tries.... Now, it will not load normally at all anymore.

While checking the system error logs, I find that (from 9/26/09 - 9/27/09) I am missing quite a few catalog files in the "system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}" directory. I also have many DCOM errors...

See "SysErrors.txt" in attachments

I have also ran chkdsk with many errors (I assume they are)

See "ChkDskOutput.txt" in attachments.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another possible culprit... Leftover video card drivers.... While I thought that my nVidia card somehow fried when the power went out, I put my ATI card in and tried to install the drivers for it, but to no avail... Oddly enough, the only way I could get it to work was by manually installing the drivers. While doing an automated install, I received the error message "Severe: Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system. Setup will now exit."

What could be wrong???

EDIT: I have a strong feeling it has something to do with my video drivers.... But the thing is, I've used Driver Cleaner to delete both nVidia's and ATI's drivers and install just the ATI drivers, but of course it does the same thing...

Attached Files:

2. BCMusic

BCMusic Thread Starter

In order for me to boot normally, I must disable my display adapter (ATI) in Device Manager....

I have tried it with both nVidia and ATI cards and I must disable both in order to boot correctly.. I installed them seperatly so there wouldn't be any conflicts.... How am I supposed to get my video card working If I can't enable it...

3. Soundy

Soundy

I wouldn't trust "Driver Anything" to do updates OR removals properly.

Download the uninstallers from ATi and nVidia and use those to completely remove the drivers, then reinstall the proper ones from the specific card manufacturers' websites - not the generic nVidia or ATi drivers, unless it's an actual nVidia or ATi branded card. A number of other manufacturers build cards using these two chipsets, such as Asus, Sapphire, eVGA, Gigabyte, Diamond, etc. - if possible, use that builder's drivers instead, at least to get things working properly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/864358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice