1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer only boots fully in safe mode, glitchy boot screens

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Kipper55, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kipper55

Kipper55 Thread Starter

Fist of all sorry if this is in the wrong forum but couldn't find a BIOS section.

I have a weird problem that started early today when I was playing World of Warcraft. The screen froze mid game and after a few seconds the computer rebooted. It loaded fine so I went back on the game, only for the same thing to happen 30 seconds later.

Now when I start the computer, the boot screens are very glitchy, with lots of random characters all over the screen (background is full of "$" signs) and then words are unreadable due to seeminly switched characters. Even the Dell screen at the very start has red vertical lines cutting through it. On top of that, the computer wont boot all the way into windows unless I start it in safe mode. It gets to just before the log on screen and then I get a blue screen of death, with an error about nvlddmkm.sys. After looking around I found this was related to the video card bios so I did the usual, uninstall old ones, install freshly downloaded ones, no joy.

After more searching, I also tried resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery, which did reset the BIOS as the date/time had to be put in again, but still got the same graphical glitches. Even the BIOS menu has these red vertical lines running down it, but the text is readable.

I'm unsure what to try next? Is it likely a hardware problem?

2. joeten

joeten

Hi try updating your graphics driver from either your computer makers support site for your model or from nvidia's support site

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!