1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer only works in safe mode after formating.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jimmy2000, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimmy2000

jimmy2000 Thread Starter

My computer is a dell xps 420, when I turn it on it looks like its loading then comes up with the screen Windows Error Recovery. I have tried all the options available including reformatting the hard drive from disk and still the only way to log in is in safe mode. Any thoughts anyone pleeeease????? I am running Vista home edition

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If formatted, then you have a blank drive. You must have also reinstalled Windows or you didn't format the Windows partition.

What was the original problem? It seems to be back.

Make sure all unneeded hardware is disconnected.

3. jimmy2000

jimmy2000 Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. When I formatted the drive it said all information would be lost and to back up everything etc and that their would be a windows.old file i could go back to, is that the correct way to format it? I used to do it alot with xp and had no problem. I am unsure of the original problem, one day it was working then the next day i could only log in through safe mode, Ive always had an anti virus too. i removed a few recent programs that i installed but that didnt fix the problem, i also have no extra hardware connected, the computer is about 4 years old?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it saved old files, you must have used the Dell recovery disk. Chances are that no format was done. An image of a drive was restored from the recovery partition or from your recovery disks.

How long ago did you use recovery? Can you try it again? Were there any errors at all during the process?

Were there any other problems with the machine that you know of?

Sometimes, when upper RAM is faulty, Safe Mode will still work. You could try testing RAM. Memtest is a good one to use.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista or 7, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

5. jimmy2000

jimmy2000 Thread Starter

I did use the recovery disc that came with the computer, I have used this disc twice (reinstalled windows twice), I did the format by setting the drive to boot from cd prior to startup is this not the correct way to format? The only odd thing i noticed was when it was reinstalling windows the appearance of text etc looked like safe mode and was blurry, not sure if that has anything to do with the graphics driver? I did try f8 memory diagnostic and that came back fine, do i still do the memory test? thanks.

6. jimmy2000

jimmy2000 Thread Starter

I have now completed the memtest 86 and 0 errors were found?

7. jimmy2000

jimmy2000 Thread Starter

i have found the problem turns out my Video card is broken and stopping computer from going.
    It was a Nvidia 8800 GT PCIE.
    cheers

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice