1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer only works when i place one ddr ram but if i place two it beebs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geffnzei, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geffnzei

geffnzei Thread Starter

Hi!

My computer(Mother board = micro star inc 7211) has a few issues with RAM

1. I Can only use 1 DDR ram if i place both of my 256 ddr ram the computer just beebs and does not start. but when i use 1 256 ddr ram its ok ,

2. when the computer starts with one ram and i check the ram capacity it reads 192 instead of 256

will someone please help me out

Thanks

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I would run a memory test on the two sticks of RAM (one at a time) using Memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
    Let it run for several hours. Are both sticks of RAM the same, or different?

For issue #2 it is normal if you are using the onboard graphics. It shares 64 MB of your RAM, so 256-64=192.

3. Compiler

Compiler

You need to see if its a bad memory or a bad board.

Name 1 DDR as A, the other as B.

1) Does it matter if its a particular single stick installed. IE: Either stick works, by itself?
    2) Install a single stick in DIMM 0, then in DIMM 1. Any difference?
    3) Switch arrangement installed in board: A/B B/A Any difference?

So if (1) - there is a difference = bad ram
    if (2) is true = bad dimm slot. This would make (3) true as well.

Your motherboard is using some of your system memory for the onboard video. Normal.

Your board is about 8 years old, so there could be problems with compatibility or dying parts on the board.

4. geffnzei

geffnzei Thread Starter

When i use both the Rams on a different computer they are ok
    and on my computer if i use 1 ram at a time they work well but if i use them together they just produce a beeb sound

5. geffnzei

geffnzei Thread Starter

Hi , Compiler

1.When i place DDR A ON DIMM slot A it works well,also when i Place DDR A ON dimm 2 it also works ok.

2. The same with DDR B
    3. The beebing starts when i place both DDR A and B together,

It has been working ok untill resently last week i rebooted and the beebing started.

What if i remove the Bios and replace it again will that help

Thanks

6. Compiler

Compiler

Just pull the battery to reset the BIOS or use the jumpers.

If that works, then it was just a glitch.

If it doesn't work... your motherboard is showing it age is falling apart. It happens. I was in an office when a PC's networking ability suddenly stop working. Drivers, good. OS, good. Cable good. The onboard NIC itself was okay, but the connector itself blew.

I disabled the onboard NIC, bought a $15NIC and its still running that way 5 years later. :)

Look at upgrading soon or buy a single 512MB stick to hold you until you do. old used DDR1 sticks are almost free. Worth about $5~10 per GB.

Todays prices:
    $55 = AMD x2 240 (very fast compared to any P4... about 4 times) - this is a bottom end CPU.
    $65 = Gigabyte 760G motherboard (2 memory slots - a 4slot version would be $80+)
    $25 = 1GB DDR3 or DDR2
    $35 = Thermaltake 430watt PSU (unless you have a newer ATX 2.x PSU with 24 pin main connector)

$180 = total

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/923702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice