1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer or monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by momof21, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. momof21

momof21 Thread Starter

My son has a computer that he built from scratch. I had to take the CD Rom drive out and then put it back in. now the computer runs but the monitor acts like it's in sleep mode.
    the monitor was working great this morning. I don't know if I messed something up or not.
    He is running windows xp.

2. DeadTeCh

DeadTeCh

Did you ask your son, What is wrong, he seems pretty smart for building his own computer.

I'm no tech wiz, but maybe you should have your son, check for loosely put in videocard/wires.

Good luck

3. momof21

momof21 Thread Starter

my son had help building the computer he is still learning. I did how ever check for loose connections and there seems to be none. It's like the computer is telling the monitor that it was shut off and that it should go into sleep mode.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

How about why you took out the cd rom? I would bet you bumped something, perhaps the video card or ram and it needs a push back.

5. DeadTeCh

DeadTeCh

Yeh Yeh I know what your talking about, I remember I had that problem about 5 years ago. I just don't remember what I did.

Do you have anyother MOnitor? If you do switch monitors if the new monitor works, then it's your old monitor that is broken. Or your computer could be broken.

6. momof21

momof21 Thread Starter

yeah I used one and thought maybe it was that one but it's doing it with the 2nd also.

7. momof21

momof21 Thread Starter

I did notice that when I had trouble getting it to turn back on that the wires to the power box seemed to be loose or something because when I moved them around the computer came on. I didn't check the video card or the ram.

8. momof21

momof21 Thread Starter

I checked everything that could be loose and nothing is loose.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That would be the problem. Something was loose, and now it's possible it was shorted out. As you've determined, nothing is wrong with the monitor. It's not displaying an image because the computer isn't actually starting up.

10. usualsuspect

usualsuspect

Is this a dualhead graphics card by any chance? i.e capable of using two monitors?

11. Vanquish07

Vanquish07 Banned

I had the same problem with my custom built PC, its pretty high end but that still doesnt stop things from going wrong! lol
    All i did was open it up and check every signle connection because it could be ANYTHING! It might not and knowing sods law will not be to do with the graphics card.
    Its possible that you fried something when you opened up the computer, its quite uncommon but you can fry parts like graphics cards/sound cards/motherboards just by touching them (you probably know this anyway) but is possible thats what happened. Do you notice anything else? I once fried my motherboard on my old machine (luckily just a £40 board!!) and when teh computer booted there was no beep, although not all computers beep and alot of home built machines dont have the little electric speaker that produces it.
    Anyway just check EVERY LITTLE THING!!! Problems and solutions are usualy completely ramdom with computers. A loose cd-drive SATA cable once stopped me from logging into MSN messenger!! I know a fair bit about computers but alot of issues still amke no sense to me! I fixed my monitor problem by checking everything was plugged in right (even fans!)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice