1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Out of Range, Urgent Advice Please

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Eddey, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eddey

Eddey Thread Starter

Hey there,

I'm running a wireless network at home which consists of two Belkin F5D7000 NIC's running off a Belkin F5D7230-4 router.

I recently moved one of the computer to the other side of the house and am experienceing problems. I can connect (with very low isgnal strength) for a bit but then it'll tell me i've lost the connection. Thus I need to either boost the signal halfway or get a more powerful router/networkcard.

I'm wondering weather I can just buy a new, more powerful network card for the comptuer and it will be able to pick up the signal better or if I will need a new router/a booster to remidy the issue?

Also, will different brands of wireless hardware work with each other? For example Belkin and Lynksis?

Thank you kindly,

_Ed

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a couple of examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I used the 15dBi antenna that John linked above for a friend's installation, which worked well. He had a PC in a garage office and router was on the second floor on other side of the house.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice