1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer overheating?? HELP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jab4, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jab4

Jab4 Thread Starter

My computer always freezes sooner or later..whether it is 5 minutes after i turn it on or 2 hours...IT ALWAYS freezes...anyone know what the problem could be?...or if its overheating?

2. matt_aj

matt_aj

How old of a machine is it? List the specs.

If it's an older machine, a fan might have went out. This would definatly cause it to overheat. Also if it's old, the capacitors on the motherboard might have blown. You should be able to look at them and see if they are bulged or leaking. Could also be the power supply is going out (bad capacitors also). If you list the specs, it will be a lot easier to assist you.

3. Jab4

Jab4 Thread Starter

its not old ..i only have it for about 2 years or so..
    the specs are
    2.8 ghz
    512 mb
    uhhhh 200 gb

4. matt_aj

matt_aj

What brand of PC is it? Is it a normal size case or a really small one?

Even being newer, check the fans and make sure they are going.

5. Jab4

Jab4 Thread Starter

it is a compaq s6000t and its a normal sized case...and the fans are running.

6. matt_aj

matt_aj

Have you tried running a spyware scan? What about a virus scan? Might not be overheating. It might be something else.

7. Jab4

Jab4 Thread Starter

not spyware or anything..im prettty sure..it freezes during ALL games...but it takes longer on some games. for example in knight empire it freezes about 5-10 minutes into the game.. for world of warcraft ..like 1 hr and guild wars 2.5 hrs...i opened my case and the heatsink fan was burning to the touch...=/

8. matt_aj

matt_aj

Ok, so it is overheating. Do you have this overclocked at all? If so, clock it back to normal. If not, your heatsink/fan aren't working good together. You might need to reseat the heatsink on the cpu. If this still doesn't work, then you need to get some heatsink compound and put just a dab on the cpu and put the heatsink back on. Make sure and remove any that is already on there.... Is there any on there? That might be the problem.

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

Manufacturers tend to utilize a CPU cooler that is just barely acceptable for normal operations.

Go to the specifications for the machine and determine if the processor is a socket 478, socket 755 etc. After you determine the socket check some suppliers
    such as Newegg, Directron, Zipzoomfly, Tigerdirect, etc. and purchase a better quality cooler such as Zalman, Vantec, etc.

If you replace the cooler you will need to rebed the heatsink. Remove the processor and clean it THOROUGHLY with denatured alcohol or isopropyl alcohol, dry it THOROUGHLY after cleaning reinstall the processor. After reinstalling the processor use a good quality thermal compound such as Artic Silver 5.

Here are instructions for applying Artic Silver 5;
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

A good quality cooler and good thermal compound should solve your problem.

10. Jab4

Jab4 Thread Starter

how would i go about removing the heatsink from the cpu or the fan from the heatsink?..and the heatsink is hot not the fan...and is the compound on the bottom of the heatsink?...and i think i might buy a new fan...not sure whether to buy a new heatsink as well..socket is 478...

on a side not i downloaded speedfan and i can check the temperature and fan speed...fan speed is about 2100 and about 900 for the second one... I can also change the fan speed to 100 percent which raises it to 4200 and second one to 2000..

and isn't the computer supposed to restart by itself when it overheats?.

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

Here is Intel directions for removing and installing a socket 478 processor. The thermal compound is applied to the top of the processor in a very thin layer just enough to cover the die.

http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-007989.htm

You could just change the fan, but the best choice is to get a quality cooler (fan and heatsink) and the heatsink preferably should have a copper core for better heat dissipation.

12. Jab4

Jab4 Thread Starter

how much would a "quality" fan cost and is it ok to change the fan speed

13. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

I thought we were talking about this over here:
    http://forums.techguy.org/games/436280-help-graphics-driver-error-freeze-play-knightonline.html

It's not a good idea to have multiple threads in different forums on the same topic essentially. It gets confusing.

We've established the fact in that other thread that you DO NOT have a fan on your video card. Perhaps that is why you are getting these problems while gaming.

Usually when people have problems with video cards (like I did at one point), one of the first questions you are asked is if the fan on the video card is spinning. But you do not have a fan at all on the video card...

For future reference, please do not double post in different forums. I thought we were talking about it over there, but I just saw this thread so I felt compelled to post here too.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice