1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer painfully slow and IE won't launch

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by donles316, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donles316

donles316 Thread Starter

I read the rules but cannot get anything to function on my PC.

A quick description:
    Used the computer and everything was fine. The next day IE would not launch and the programs that did work were taking forever to launch...for example, if I click on Control Panel to open it, it will take 7-10 minutes to open. It does this for any program I try to run, though IE will not open no matter what. As long as it took, I did run Webroot and there were no issues found (at least with that program) and I also did a system restore to 3 days prior to the problem surfacing. Nothing has worked--the computer is still taking forever to launch any programs and IE will still not load. Along with Webroot the computer has Windows Defender. That tandem has never created a problem in the past--I have had this PC since new and for about 2 years.

I tried running Windows in Safe Mode and it is still the same. Is there anything I can try to load via a thumb drive to see if I can analyze/fix? I do OK with following instructions but am not computer savvy.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

2. donles316

donles316 Thread Starter

Bump.

Really stuck on this one. I got the computer to respond (sort of) in safe mode and ran the rkill and then malewarebytes just to see if that would help. Rkill showed no issues, malewarebytes found some items, asked to reboot and then when the reboot happened there was no improvement at all.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1033547

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice