1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Parts help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by YouBass, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. YouBass

YouBass Thread Starter

Need your opinion on those parts. Is 400w power supply good enough?

-Foxconn A88GMV AM3
    -AMD Phenom II X2 555
    -Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-400 400W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 Power Supply
    -2 80mm fans
    -G.SKILL Value 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) (TWO OF THEM, 8GB total)
    -1TB Western Digital SATA 3.0gb/s

Video card is my biggest concern so I'm thinking of this card, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti, 2GB 192bit GDDR5

Let me know what you think. Thanks

2. hazybud1

hazybud1

i dont think 400 will be enough

if i remember correctly the gtx 550 is somewhere in the 400 range but you will still want some headroom so you dont stress your parts.

it shouldnt be to much more expensive to up to a 500 watt or 550 just to be safe.. and what if you decide to go SLI in the future? then the 400 watt psu will not suffice.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A 400 watt PSU for a new gaming build is a bad idea, you need to be looking at at least 500 watt. Also brand is critical in power supplies, there's tons of companies making really crappy power supplies and the market is flooded with them.

Corsair and Antec are two of ones I generally recommend.

4. YouBass

YouBass Thread Starter

Honestly I'm not a gamer and never has been one but that doesn't matter because a 400 watt is a bad idea for those parts I listed, anyway, right? I'll look into one thats higher than 500 watts. Thanks for the response.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. daw07731

daw07731

Think your psu is a little underpowered.
    Maybe go for a 650 watt, better to go over the top a little rather than under power

www.pcpartsstore.co.uk

7. adam3088

adam3088

Yes it would be a bad idea, but more importantly get a PSU based on the reputation of it's manufacturer and efficiency rather then how cheap it is. Buying a cheap PSU has a much higher chance of coming back to haunt you in the form of an unstable (or wrecked) PC.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice