1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer parts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by angelique01, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angelique01

angelique01 Thread Starter

I am interested in buying parts but since I have only put drives in this one by myself I am unsure of what parts to actually buy and where to buy them. If someone can be so kind to list everything I would need to have a nice running computer minus the big $$, I would appreciate it. I can only buy OFFLINE at this time, like maybe a comp store or something. So anything in the area I live in would be good. I can give links to places if that helps.

Also if you can be specific about what the part is for that would be good too :). I am not a gamer.

some links:

http://www.pcsinc.com/ - I bought my first comp from them 3 years ago and sadly I am still running on it, well, some of it since I did have parts put in.

http://www.bestbuy.com/ - everyone has one of these ;)

I only have them 2 for now since I have not gotten parts from anyone else and I don't know who to trust.

2. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx

Without knowing how much you want to spend, i will just be generic
    Motherboard w/processor(intel or AMD)--if you arent a gamer or music person look for something that has some onboard video, audio, a few USB or firewire ports on it, other wise get the next two
    Also look for PCI, Ram, and an AGP slot
    Video Card--ATI vs Nvidia is a common debate
    Sound Card--Sound blaster is a good brand
    CD/DVD Rom/Writer depending on use and $
    Ram. 512 mb could be enough maybe more, not less, unless you are strapped for cash
    power supply--get some higher wattage. Something around the 350+ range
    Hard Drive- storage is pretty cheap these days, so you could get something a little larger
    That should cover it until we have price range.

3. angelique01

Thanks so much for that. I basically needed names :). I would be willing to spend between $600-$1000

here are some of parts in the comp I have now:

my power supply 400w
    80GB Segate 8mb Hard Drive
    CD Burner is slow, 32x 10x 40x. So definanalty need a new ones of these.
    I am buying a new cd rom as we speak, since mine is slowing dieing ;).
    AMD XP 1700, would like a faster one with a 2. something GHZ.
    512mb SDRAM

what kind of dialup modem should I get, someone recommended one to me here, but I'd to search for the link.

4. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx

i am not the best for telling you about brand names, but Asus is a good motherboard. As for the modem, i think they are all about the same. Look at spending $20-50 for one. They may have one prebuilt on the mobo, that may be worth checking.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Everyone has one of these are you refering to the washer and dryer? A little humor there, what on that page are you refering to?

6. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

First, just to clarify:
    OK, so you basically want to buy the parts from one of those two stores you listed or somewhere near Wilkes-Barre PA?

What motherboard do you have? Have a make and model?
    What are you using for video right now? (onboard video or PCI/AGP card?)

Parts to ReUse:
    Power supply, 80gb HD, CDRW (32x isn't that slow. The fastest right now is 56x. I doubt you'd notice too much of a difference unless you burn 10 CDs a day.)

New parts you'll need:
    Motherboard (maybe) - Your present MB may support higher speed CPUs so this is a maybe for now..
    CPU - AMD XP 2500 is about $75 online. Probably $100-150 in a store?
    Replace the dying CDRom with a DVD 8x +/- RW drive instead. DVDRW drives will burn DVDs and CDRs and you'll be able to watch movies.
    Video (maybe)
    Memory (maybe) - depends if you're getting a new MB or not. Switching to a new motherboard will let you use faster DDR memory.
    Harddrive - (optional) HDs are getting bigger and cheaper every day. Your present HD is a pretty decent size for most normal people.

Basically need info about your present motherboard and video to make more precise suggestions. Also, need to know what you do with your computer mostly. No need to go bleeding edge if you don't need it. :)

7. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

8. angelique01

I meant everyone has a Best Buy, or I would think.

9. angelique01

this is my display, which i am guessing is video, I think it's only an 8mb:
    VIA Tech VT8361/VT8601 Graphics Controller [Display adapter]

Not sure what the motherboard would be listed as. I have belarc. Let me know and I'll let you know what one I have.

Would like to buy from near Wilkes Barre, but Best Buy would be best, if I can find stuff in the price range I am willing to spend.

Let me know about the modem to. I need a new one since I just got XP dual booting, I can't get online with my current modem in XP. It doesn't support it or something.

I mostly use my computer for saving pictures, mp3's and video files and software. I need a faster cd burner since I do burn alot of cd's ;)

Would like a new case as well, since the one I have now is large. Would like a small black one ;)

10. angelique01

I'm looking but I'm not really sure what to pick as I've never bought parts like this before. So if you can make suggestions that would be great. I would take your guys words over my own ;)

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you are budget minded and it appears that you are then I would suggest AMD.

12. angelique01

ok thanks :)

13. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

OK. That video is most likely built into the motherboard. So 8mb video and sdram support, it's probably a pretty old model. We should probably replace the motherboard.

You probably don't want to do any overclocking, so no need for top of the line highend stuff..right?

You sure you can't shop online? That severely limits the choices. Is there a CompUSA nearby? They tend to have more parts choices available. That PCS shop you listed is WAY too expensive.

So let's start a shopping list guys: (Prices listed are average online. Figure another 25-50% for retail store)
    Motherboard - KT800 or nForce2 chipset with 400Mhz FSB and DDR400 Dual Channel support [$60-120]
    CPU - AMD XP 2700 (333Mhz)[$90 online], AMD XP 2800 (333Mhz)[$100] , or AMD XP 3000 (400Mhz)[$160]
    CPU Heatsink/Fan - ThermalTake Volcano 9, 10, 11, or 12 (Whatever you like)[$15-30]
    Memory - PC3200(DDR400) - You need to get these in pairs to allow the Dual Channel to work = faster performance. You'll want at least 512mb or maybe 1Gb if you do a lot of video work. [$90-120 for (2)x256mb = 512mb]
    Video card - I would suggest at the very least a Radeon 9600 or GeForce 5600 (All types of makers and models) [$100-150] OR if you want to do video and TV recording as well.. something like THIS.
    HD - Get a 160Gb or 200Gb HD to act as slave for that 80Gb you already have. Best Buy usually has something with a mail in rebate each week.
    Optical drives - Throw out the old CDrom. Keep the CDRW. Get a Dual Format 8x DVDRW [$75-100] OR Wait til summer and pick up a Dual Layer 12x DVDRW. (Speed will be up to 16x by December.)
    Case - Hmm..small and black eh? Antec Sonata [$90]
    Monitor - Do you need a new one too? CRT or LCD?

14. griffinspc

griffinspc

One thing that stands out is NOT to shop at pcsinc. This quoted price
    is a joke. I saw some other prices that left me cold too.

I'm not a huge fan or even a little fan of Best Buy so are there other stores in your phone book that we might be familiar with, like Circuit City, etc.

Also the modem. I have a pretty good machine and I use a Hayes Accura v92 that cost me $14.99. I consistently connect at 50plus and sometimes at 52plus. No disconnects at all. Now some will tell you that you have to spend $40 or more for a modem and maybe 5 years ago that was true but not anymore.

If you draw up a list of parts do you have any (other than pcsinc) mom&pops you can take the list to and ask for written quotes. Never be afraid to split the order up either. I spent 6 weeks buying all my parts locally too and I probably used 4 stores and one about 80 miles away. Look for sales at places like CompuCare, Circuit City, etc., check on rebates from major manufacturers too. Ask about the rebate policies and about the return policy for the store.

I had a bad stick of quality RAM and it was exchanged that day. I also got my case home and didn't like it after working with it, took it back and had a new one in an hour or so. Long story short. Ask everything and hold them to it. Good stores don't mind, believe me.

15. griffinspc

griffinspc

PS: you listed these as what you currently have:
    my power supply 400w - the wattage is Ok but how many connectors etc., does it have?
    80GB Segate 8mb Hard Drive - OK
    CD Burner is slow, 32x 10x 40x. So definanalty need a new ones of these. - you do a lot of burning get a new one as some have suggested
    AMD XP 1700, would like a faster one with a 2. something GHZ. - XP2200+ 1.8Ghz and on up. I'd stick with AMD for performance vs. price
    512mb SDRAM - that will have to go with a switch to DDR, the good news, you can probably make a little back on the sdram by selling it yourself. There's a lot of people who want a little extra performance with older machines and RAM's the best way to do that.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice