1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Password Has Locked Me Out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Packy Broke, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Packy Broke

Packy Broke Thread Starter

My 5-year old son was playing around and he got into the BIOS setup screen (the thing that comes up when the computer is booting) and set a password for the computer to use. Obviously, he was just playing around and we have no idea what the password he put in is (and my son has no idea either - he was just goofing around). The computer is an old Packard Bell Platinum 300 MHz that is requiring the unknown password to be entered in before it does anything. Is there anything I can do?

2. dez_666

dez_666

Does your BIOS show a version number or a 'type' of BIOS like 'Award' or 'Pheonix'?

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

You can try resetting the cmos either with the jumper or by taking the battery out for about 20 minutes. Both if possible really.

That "should" reset the bios to factory defaults / requiring no password.

4. dez_666

dez_666

oh heh i almost forgot about the reset jumper :rolleyes:
    havent used mine since i got my mobo..
    good lookin skivv (y)

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's one bright 5 year-old you have there. I don't know how many threads people have started here asking how to get into their BIOS. Even more ask how to navigate it. I can't imagine a kindergartener wandering into the BIOS accidentally, navigating all the menus, entering a password twice (for verification), and then telling his parents he has no idea what he did.

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but this is your first post, and the circumstances don't seem realistic to me.

Regardless, the new rules here don't allow people to help with forgotten passwords.

6. dez_666

dez_666

They could have a bright 5 year old? :p

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I thought that rule applied to the OS, not the bios. If I was wrong I plead ignorance / misunderstanding because I did know of the rule. I thought it pertained to OS only.

Please don't kick me off the boards for being a turkey. ;) If I was wrong, I apologize. :eek:

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Folks, that rule applies to any password help. Note there is no "BIOS exclusion" here. ;)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice