Computer power issues....possibly PSU

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

black ballon

Okay I'm going to suggest this is the power supply unit. Just a guess though...

Usually at night I leave the computer on as kind of a night light for my room. For some reason in the middle of the night last night the keyboard lost power and the mouse did. I remember because I got up to try and see if it worked. I figured it was going through a standby mode or something (I was like half asleep at the time) so I just left it alone.

A few minutes later I got up and turned it off by pressing the power button to go through shutdown process. It turned back on and the keyboard, mouse and monitor got power then it shut off out of nowhere. I believe it had actually gotten to windows that time.

Then I think I gave up. I woke up like an hour or two later then tried messing with it some more. The next 4-6 times I turned it on, one of two things would happen:

The power button light comes on, the fans go on, lights on the back of the case go on then I observed that the cd-rom drives got power then the cd-rom drives (2) lost power. But the fans, lights on the back of the case, and the power button light all remained on. I don't remember getting a BIOS beep when I turned it on at any point.

Then if it didn't do that, the power would go on to everything then it would turn off. Then the next second try to turn back on then go off again without me touching anything.

Keep in mind this whole time that my monitor is plugged in nothing is displayed and everything is plugged in fine and it has power. I also checked all connections to everything.

So I have figured 1 of 2 things. Either it is my power supply that went bad or the internal temperature got too high and it didn't want to start since there wasn't enough time lapse for the pc to cool down.

I didn't run the A/C last night so it got up to about 90 degrees at the house.

Any help is appreciated. And ASAP would be great since I'll probably be at the store later today buying whatever I need.

Thank you.

black ballon

I'm still having the same issue. power on then power off, so I'm beginning to believe it is the power supply.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online