1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Power On Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Peeru2004, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Peeru2004

Peeru2004 Thread Starter

Hello,

i have a problem in my computer, when i switch on the computer,
    the power is automatically switched off.i have to give a break of
    10-12 hours to again switch it on for 5 minutes only.when it is on
    the computer BIOS is accessible. i have changed the power supply,
    changed the RAM (DIMM), even processor, but the problem is not solved.
    i have also checked the power LED connections, the lights of all LEDs are on.
    i have a pentium 4 system. Specifications of my system are as under :-
    - Mother Board - Intel D845GLVA
    - Processor - Intel 1.8 GHZ
    - RAM - 128 MB
    - HDD - 60 GB Seagate
    I have checked all the cables and connections but no success, can u help me to diagnose the problem.
    with best wishes.

2. joemcse

joemcse

try resetting the bios. By removing the battery for 15 sec. and then put it back in and then try.

3. pronute

pronute

Sounds like a bad component causing the PSU to overload, 12 hours unplugged is the reset procedure for an overload. First try running it with only the CPU, hard drive, Video card, and one stick of memory, for external peripherals only leave the monitor and keyboard. Start it up and see if it stays on if it does then start connecting every thing back up one at a time starting with optical drives. If this doesn't work from the start disconnect the hard drive etc. ending with the keyboard if all components check out then the motherboard is bad.

4. Peeru2004

Peeru2004 Thread Starter

i have upgraded the bios as well, now will try to remove the battery, thanks Joe.
    PRONUTE - thankz for the reply, i have already tried everything u have suggested, but if motherboard is bad, it should not switch on, can u suggest me some thing to fix the PSU overload, although i have changed the power supply as well but no success, thanks any way, waiting for some more suggestions plz

5. pronute

pronute

A bad component may cause the PSU to overload and it has to power up to do this so the fact that the motherboard powers up, and you eliminated all the other components points to the motherboard.

6. Peeru2004

Peeru2004 Thread Starter

Thanks Pronute!
    i have disabled most of the pci and integrated components from BIOS setup, still the problem is there. should i change to more powerful PSU, fearing it may damage the motherboard. Any more suggestion plz

7. dai

dai

what size p/s are you using

8. Peeru2004

Peeru2004 Thread Starter

200 Watts, p/s unit

9. dai

dai

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269756

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice