1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer power starts but that's it

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chas638, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chas638

chas638 Thread Starter

My nephew has a Compaq Presario SR1426nx running Windows XP home which he asked me to look at. About a week ago the mouse stopped working and now when you start the green light on the PSU goes on, the PSU fan runs, the cooling fan above the cpu runs, the disk drive light goes on about 2 seconds than nothing. The monitor is good because I'm using it now on my computer to write this post. I put the HD in a external enclosure and it appears to be fine. The monitor goes right to energy saver and that's it. I tried adding a separate video card but still same result. If I unplug the monitor cable I get a no signal message but when I plug it back in it goes right to energy saver. Without video I can't check BIO or anything else.

I just replaced the CMOS battery and the power supply unit, still won't start.

It's an 7 year old computer so I don't want to spend much more replacing parts that it doesn't need. The motherboard alone is about $100. My nephew can't afford a new computer so I'll keep trying to fix this one.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most likely the board has failed. You have replaced the pw supply already. You can do some basic troubleshooting however it may or may not help.

1 Open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives both hd and optical
    2 Remove any add-in cards such as sound, nic, etc. Leave the video card installed
    3 Disconnect any usb devices ie printer, scanner, hub, etc
    4 Clear cmos with the clear jumper. Replace jumper to the normal position
    5 Pw ON and see if the mb will complete post. If it does, then shutdown and connect devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If the board will not complete post, then you would need to swap parts with known good units ie mb, cpu, ram.

While you have the case open, get a bright light and give the board a VERY close inspection. Look for any capacitors that look like the pics below. If you find any, you have found your problem.

Attached Files:

3. chas638

chas638 Thread Starter

Removed the battery and changed the CIOS jumper with power off to 2-3 reset for about 15 seconds. Put battery in and jumper back to 1-2 and powered computer. The system still didn't boot but the PSU fan and CPU fan ran faster than normal. Shut the computer off and restarted and the fans ran normal but still no boot. Don't know if this means anything.

I'm going to give the motherboard a visual inspection as suggested. I guess the next step would be to replace the motherboard but before I go through the time and expense (about $100), is there a way to test it to make sure it's definitely the problem?
    Thanks for your help and support

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You test it by swapping in a known good mb. If you are going to work on systems, then having a closet of "Test" parts or systems is almost required. There are mb testers that go into a pci slot however those are not fool proof.

One other item to consider. Unless the mb you install is the same board that is in there now OR its designated replacement board from hp/compaq, you are going to have to buy a new copy of windows as well. OEM versions of windows live and die with the original hardware ie mb.

5. chas638

chas638 Thread Starter

Not a service tech but just an uncle trying to fix his nephews computer. I do have some computer parts from my old computers but nothing in the way of a matching motherboard. When I power up the computer the light on the hard drive goes on for about 3 seconds. Is there a sequence that BIO posts use, first cpu ,than memory and so forth?
    My nephew told me he was having trouble with his mouse than keyboard right before it stopped completely.
    Thanks for taking the time to help

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most likely the board has failed. Your choices are as follows;
    1 Buy a replacement board from compaq
    2 Attempt to find a board that will fit in the compaq case
    3 Take it to a shop for diagnosis/repair

Honestly that system is not worth putting any money into. With the price of new systems so cheap now, it makes no sense to put money into a 6~7yr old system. It will cost more to fix it than it will to purchase a new system. Remember unless you buy the board from hp [which is prohibitively expensive] you are going to have to buy a new copy of windows as well. This adds more to the cost of the repair.

7. chas638

chas638 Thread Starter

I agree with you but a decent barebones system is about $300 without OS, both his parents are out of work and were hoping his computer only had a fixable virus. I think I found the same motherboard (Goldfish3 GL8E) at ServerSupply new for $80. I'm hoping I can still use his drive and retain all his programs and OS, correct?
    Once again, thanks for your help

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it is the same board, then it should not be a problem.

9. chas638

chas638 Thread Starter

Just want to check if I have the right motherboard. In Compaq's specs it states GOLDFISH3 GL8E. Is there a way to check this model # from the motherboard? The only thing I see is PTGO-LA. Is it written anywhere on the board itself?
    Thanks,

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Usually it is however the board is made by asus for hp/compaq's specs. If compaq did not want the model# silkscreened on the board then it is not there. The only way to tell for sure is to pull it out of the case and look OR if you can give it a good inspection in the case do it that way.

11. chas638

chas638 Thread Starter

On Compaq's web site specs state GOLDFISH3 GL8E but the only thing I see on the motherboard is PTGO-LA. I order the GOLDFISH3 GL8E. Are they the same (PTGO-LA being the Asus name) or did I order the wrong motherboard.

Thanks again

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I cannot tell you that; only someone with the system in front of them can answer your question.

13. chas638

chas638 Thread Starter

From the pictures, socket and chip set they look the same. Worse case scenario is it works but will have to contact Microsoft to activate Windows XP but I hope not. OS came with the computer and nephew never backed it up or wrote down activation code.
    Thanks again

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice