1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Powers Up but OS Doesn't Load

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sherylmuzz, Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sherylmuzz

sherylmuzz Thread Starter

Hoping you guys can help. I have an IBM Aptiva E590. I was transferring files to a USB memory stick to load onto my new HP Media Center PC. Each time I removed the USB stick from the Aptiva, it would freeze the computer and I would have to reboot. Now it's stopped working completely. When I power up, I get he Aptiva splash screen but the operating system won't load. Tried unplugging everything and rebooting. Tried using the Aptiva recovery disk, but nothing happened. Same thing -- powers up but the OS doesn't load. Any ideas on what the problem might be or what my next steps might be? Thank you for any advice you can provide.

2. zyzzx

zyzzx

in your boot devices is there a USB option? Disable/remove that if there is. In some BIOSs there's a USB option in a really strange place that doesn't really seem like an intuitive location or even a related location for usb booting. I've seen USB stuff in the bios add 5 minutes to a boot-time.
    On the Aptiva splash screen, see if there's a way to see the memtest and hd locate screen... f1 maybe? It might have an error there.

3. sherylmuzz

None of the Function keys or other keys work. Absolutely nothing functions. It immediately displays the Aptiva splash screen when the computer is turned on -- it doesn't load anything. I tried starting in Safe Mode and that didn't work either. I'm at a loss...

4. bigbear

bigbear

Have you tried checking the boot order in bios?

5. KingCody

KingCody

when you say it doesn't load, what exactly happens?? does the screen go blank, blue, black?? and do you get an error message??

as it boots (or tries to), do you hear any beep codes?? (or does that comp have diagnostic LEDs or anything like that??)

can you access your BIOS?? can you reset to defaults??

can you press F8 while booting to use safe mode or use "last known good configuration"??

6. sherylmuzz

When I start up the computer, it immediately displays the IBM Aptiva splash screen. I hear the hard drive running and the CD/DVD lights go on. However, none of the keys work so I can't get beyond the splash screen. I can't access BIOS or anything for that matter. None of the F keys work. I have left it on for hours and no change. Since the F keys don't work, I can't start in safe mode. All I can do is power on and off...

7. bigbear

bigbear

Before the splash screen look at the bottom of the screen, does it say anything like " To enter setup press delete" or something similar? Is the keyboard USB?

8. sherylmuzz

Nothing appears before the splash screen -- it immediately displays the splash screen when I turn on the computer. The keyboard is not USB. I'm not sure what it's called but it's the round port with 6 pin connectors.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/439918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice