Computer problem, might be mobo

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Druidboi

My other computer kinda smoked up on me. I assume it's the motherboard that's burnt, almost 99% sure but I'm no expert either. Looking for a 2nd opinion I guess.

When I changed my ram, one stick wasn't in fully and when I turned on, the screen went blank, and in came the burning smell. I fixed the ram's positioning and now it wont start up.

When I turn it on, I don't hear the hard drive loading, sometimes the fan's don't even move, all that indicates that it is on is the green power button. The monitor's light is orange too and not green.

I have been having problems with the video card also, and because the monitor doesn't kick in, I figure that might be a small chance it may be the vid card. The vid card is a agp ATI card. There seems to be no onboard vid slot anywhere so I can't test it. I also rotated the ram and took one out and left the other in...etc and same thing still.

The system specs are:
Compaq Presario 8QSXE1
AMD Athlon XP
ati raedon 9200 (i think 9200) 128mb agp
768mb 256mhz ram (again, not exactly sure on ramtype, it says 256mhz tho)
Windows XP

Question is, what could be the problem? And assuming it's the Motherboard, what can I do? Get a new mobo? Or not worth it?

You will have either taken out the Motherboard or the Power Supply Unit or both.

Druidboi

ahh, power supply, didn't think about that. I'm not sure on motherboard pricing. is it worth replacing if it is the motherboard? and worth the hassle, considering I don't know much about putting together a computer from scratch. Or would it still be reasonable pricing if i took it into a local shop, since it's an older computer.

Druidboi

so...not worth it i guess since I don't know much and will probably get a trained tech to do it for me

when you switched the ram did you make sure just to leave in the one that wasnt installed incorreclty. It could technically be one or many things. YOu cant tell by your description alone. You'd have to test stuff and tell us what happens on each step.

First logical step would have been take out the one ram that you said was installed incorrectly and try with only one ram stick(I'm assuming you only have two sticks). If that didnt solve it you have to test more stuff, but with the "bad" ram out. (bad being the one your not sure about which you can test after you get rid of any other problems) next you need to test all other possibilites one by one with the whole system together except the one ram. When you find a working solution. Test the one ram. If the ram works, retest the whole system with the ram in. Afterword find the real culprite or culprites! There could be subtle damage so it would be complex from there. Afterword you could always take the bad ram out to see if it did really get damaged more than you thought. You could also afterword try with new ram or the other ram out to see if it is also causing problems.(The one ram alone to test it and new ram to test if it is the ram at all. This assuming the mother board does not cause problems. at which point you do the exact same test with a new mother board to fully test it. repeating some of all of the prior tests in a logical order)

Anoither key clue is where was the smoke coming from. And how many places? Do you have windowed computer case?

Good luck. And post what you did step by step in detail.

Yea, and what you said. If you cant do that much to test on your own take it to a proffesstional! 8)

And if you know, tell them wich ram stick was installed incorrectly so they can test it.

Druidboi

yea i tested the each ram seperately afterwards. I'll keep trying, thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online