1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer problems...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MaverickUK, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MaverickUK

MaverickUK Thread Starter

Today i recieved my AMD Athlon 64 4000+, installed everything okay and after doing everything i know, it wont go to post. The PC got knackered a few months ago after freezing for some reason and the sound was in one continual loop, it went off and i basically buggered the processor by accident after taking it out and re-seating. My monitor has no signal going to it, however there are not even any beep codes, just silence and nothing happening. The monitor also picks up when the PC is being turned on, but just wont display anything. The power is adequate, the processor is seated correctly along with all other components, no sign of anything being blown or shorted.

Specifications:

Amd athlon 64 4000+ ~2.4GHZ
    500W Casecom PSU
    MSI K8N Neo2 Motherboard
    1GB Crucial RAM
    nVidia 6800GT
    1 x DVD/RW
    1 x 80GB Samsung HDD

I'm at a loss as to what is wrong, the only thing i think i can do now is try components in another computer until i find the defective one. Another thing, when i take out the video/ram i hear a really loud screeching noise that does not cease until the computer is turned off, never heard anything like this before.

Help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Nick.

2. bigbear

bigbear

The first thing I noticed is your psu,
    New motherboards have a seperate 12v cpu power supply is it plugged in?
    Does the psu have a 24pin power supply?
    Also 270w is not really enough for a modern rig

3. MaverickUK

By the way 270W is wrong, it's 500W, not sure where i got 270W from whilst typing that. Yep it has a 12V and it is connected, also the 24pin power supply is in, i have the correct PSU, Motherboard and all components.

4. bigbear

bigbear

Ok, are you sure the mobo is installed correctly and is not shorting out to the case?
    Otherwise the next step would be to try a bare setup.
    Remove mobo from the case setup on an antistatic surface (mobo box is good) and hookup the bare essentials, psu, one stick of ram gpu monitor keyboard and mouse see if you can get it to post.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You are not I hope saying that you are removing components while the computer has power applied to it? I am just checking here. THis is a good way to ruin a motherboard and more.

Also it could be a bad power supply. I have never heard of that Manufacturer before. A quality Power Supply is important. Quality Manufacturers include (Not limited to) Antec, Enermax, Sparkle, Fortron, Thermaltake.

6. MaverickUK

Nope, the computer is off when i do that. I dont think it's the power, it was working perfectly before the PC crash a few months back.

7. MaverickUK

I tried taking the motherboard and everything out the case, still not working. I'm closing to chucking the thing in the bin to be honest.

8. bigbear

bigbear

Is there any sign of life?
    Does the heatsink fan turn? psu fan spinning? any LEDs on the mobo lit?
    If not, could be the board is dead.

9. MaverickUK

all the fans spinning and i have no LED's on the mother board?

10. MaverickUK

I'm guessing everyone else is as baffled as me then? ;)

11. Itnewjersey

Itnewjersey

Hi,

Is it possible that a pin on the processor was bent when you re-seated it? It sounds like that might be a possible reason.

12. MaverickUK

Hey,

Nope, that's definately not the reason as to why the computer isn't working but the sound screeching sound may well be. The processor is definately working and in perfect order, the only thing i think it may be is i dropped the heatsink onto my bed and picked it back up - the thermal paste marginally came off and went onto my bed - but there was paste all accross where it should be. I can make sure this isn't the problem later by re-applying the paste and going from there.

13. bigbear

bigbear

If you have tried what I suggested in post #4 then it would appear the mobo is at fault.
    Sorry I have no other suggestions
    BTW I dont think its the thermal paste as it would at try to post before it would shut down and you don't get anything

14. MaverickUK

Hey BigBear, it didn't work, nope! I agree, the hardware at fault here is the motherboard, i've tried booting from disc and everything else i can think of - the system is fully powered (although the 12V rail could be better, i'll upgrade soon).

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice