1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer processing too much?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by alexamasan, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alexamasan

alexamasan Thread Starter

Several times a day, the processing light on my laptop would just flash up randomly as if it's really busy doing something. While this is happening, sometimes I can still click on other windows that are already open, sometimes the cursor turns into the hour glass-like icon, and sometimes the computer completely freezes and I can't even move the cursor at all. I can't open up new programs while this is happening. This can last from less than a minute to up to around 5 minutes until it somehow finishes whatever it was doing and goes back to normal and any programs I tried to open while it was "processing" will now open up.

I don't think it's any kind of malicious programs on my computer because this is a problem I've had ever since I first got the computer. The laptop's operating system was originally windows vista, but I reformatted the computer and did a clean install when I upgraded to windows 7 and I still have the problem (thought for sure that was gonna work). I run virus and spyware scans I defrag and clean the registry on the computer regularly. I'm just starting to think it's a hardware problem maybe. What do you guys think? Can you think of anything else I should do?

PS. Some people have told me that cleaning the registry can cause problems, however, I've been having the problems since before I've started to clean the registry.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you used the "CPU Meter" gadget or Task Manager to make sure you are really using the "Duo" cores? How much RAM (memory) do you have?

If you let Windows select drivers for you (which is often OK) try from Gateway's web site the chipset drivers. If no Windows 7 version use the Vista.

3. funguy123us

funguy123us

If you have lot of programs installed then this could happen. Some program creates services on your system and they check for things every once in a while.

4. antech

antech Banned

Ok,Lets get ready for HJT LOG:
    Follow the below Instructions Carefully:

1. Download Hijack this from the link.

(Choose the installer of HJT—Hijack This)

2. Run a Scan.

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING BY YOURSELF.

(Doing so when NOT Instructed Might cause Unwanted System Instability, BSOD's and Even Render your System Unusable)

3. Save a Log file (On your Desktop)

4. Copy and Paste all the contents.

5. Paste them in the Reply Window.

I am NOT an Authorized Malware Remover.

The Log is requested by me only for Optimization Purposes, troubleshooting and removing applications that are causing various problems such as Crashing, BSOD’s and Freezing and helping the poster remove any incompatible application/program and driver.

I will therefore NOT help if anything related to Malware is found in your log.

The thread will then be moved to the Malware Removal Forums for expert assistance.

5. antech

antech Banned

Follow the Instructions Very Carefully:

1. Open Hijack This.

2. Click on the Main Menu Button.

3. Open the Misc. Tools Section.

4. Open Uninstall Manager.

5. Save the List and Post it over here.

(As an attachment or in the reply window)

I am NOT an Authorized Malware Remover.

The Log is requested by me only for Optimization Purposes, troubleshooting and removing applications that are causing various problems such as Crashing, BSOD’s and Freezing and helping the poster remove any incompatible application/program and driver.

I will therefore NOT help if anything related to Malware is found in your log.

The thread will then moved to the Malware Removal Forums for expertize assistance.

I am posting TWO replies’ so as to prevent cluttering.

(Please don’t misinterpret me that I am flooding the forums)
    Sorry if I seem contradictory to anyone.
    This is done to Prevent Confusion.

Also post the FULL SYSTEM SPECS.
    RAM,Graphic card make and model no etc.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm not saying I have an answer to this issue, but please note that in the problem description this issue existed in Vista and after a disk format and Windows 7 installation it persists. From those aspects I infer that we should be looking at drivers and hardware first. The odds of an infection, while not zero, seem low to me. Unless alexamasan installed a whole boatload of applications immediately in Vista and then in 7 the odds of self-imposed overload all seem low to me. Is my thinking all wrong here?

7. alexamasan

Thanks for the replies, I'll try the things you suggest. And if it helps any, here are the specs.

Operating System: Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gateway
    System Model: M-6850FX
    BIOS: BIOS Version 89.22
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8300 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 3072MB RAM
    Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600

I just got the cpu meter gadget and it's pretty cool, now I can see how drastic the cpu usage is the next time my computer "freezes." Both cores are being used according to cpu meter.

8. antech

antech Banned

Terrynet,
    I also thought of that.
    After all,I am NOT an Authorized Malware Remover.
    If the infection was a trojan or a virus, then there are chances that the infection could have returned back.
    It can be the boatload of apps running and those placed at startup.

Please Post the HiJack This Log ASAP.
    Thanks for your contribution,Terrynet

9. alexamasan

Here is the logfile, I wonder if it helps.

By the way, I updated the Bios driver and my computer hasn't frozen since, it's been about 1 day which is a record. We'll see if it keeps up!

Attached Files:

10. antech

antech Banned

Please always post the lpog like this:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 5:26:15 PM, on 5/4/2010
    Platform: Windows 7 (WinNT 6.00.3504)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7600.16385)
    Boot mode: Normal
    Running processes:
    C:\Windows\system32\taskhost.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
    C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSTE08.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqbam08.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgpc01.exe
    C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\smart web printing\hpswp_clipbook.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    R3 - URLSearchHook: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
    O2 - BHO: HP Print Enhancer - {0347C33E-8762-4905-BF09-768834316C61} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_printenhancer.dll
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgssie.dll
    O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: HP Smart BHO Class - {FFFFFFFF-CF4E-4F2B-BDC2-0E72E116A856} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - {CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG9_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpqSRMon] C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSRMon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Camera Assistant Software] "C:\Program Files\Camera Assistant Software for Gateway\traybar.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: PokerStars - {3AD14F0C-ED16-4e43-B6D8-661B03F6A1EF} - C:\Program Files\PokerStars\PokerStarsUpdate.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Show or hide HP Smart Web Printing - {DDE87865-83C5-48c4-8357-2F5B1AA84522} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgpp.dll
    O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
    O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - AMD - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG Free E-mail Scanner (avg9emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG Free WatchDog (avg9wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
    O23 - Service: SBSD Security Center Service (SBSDWSCService) - Safer Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe
    --
    End of file - 6227 bytes

11. antech

antech Banned

Follow the Instructions Very Carefully:
    1. Go to “The Desktop”
    2. Use the Shortcut “Win Key + R”
    3. The “Run Windows will come up”.
    4. Type “msconfig” in the box that comes up.
    5. A “New Window” will come up.
    6. Navigate to the “Startup Tab”.
    7. Untick the follow items carefully:
    Reader_sl.exe

AdobeARM.exe

HPWuSchd2.exe

hpqSRMon.exe

QTTask.exe

iTunesHelper.exe

jusched.exe

hpqtra08.exe

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    IMO it would be much better if you explained why you suggest those be removed from startup. Removing them will cause little if any harm, but since there is no indication that any are causing any issues I do not understand the point. Many of those are started on my Windows 7, are using no CPU, and any slowness they cause at startup is likely minimal.

OTOH there was a time when the HP all-in-one utilities caused some issues on XP, and so I stopped them on those systems.

13. antech

antech Banned

Sorry Terrynet,
    but they are some useless startup entries.
    The program launches the above processes automatically when it is executed manually.
    They are ,IMO,not required at startup.

The poster has not told about the amount of RAM installed on the system,
    So it was just a opinion

14. antech

antech Banned

The internet is very slow in my country.

The poster seems to be running S&D,Ad-Aware and AVG simultaneously.
    Are they compitable with each other at providing real time protection?
    I am NOT an expert but I do have experience in the Antivirus Research Field and I have never seen a system running them simultaneously.
    Perhaps I have never tried the trios in real time.
    Whats your opinion,Terrynet?

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I mostly was suggesting, antech, that you tell alexamasan your reasons for omitting those programs from startup. My opinion, and it is opinion only, is that those in rare cases cause startup sluggishness or constant sluggishness, but not the symptom the OP is/was seeing.

The memory is 3GB--hidden in post # 7 is "Memory: 3072MB RAM." :)

You may have identified the culprit in pointing out Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware and AVG. I stopped installing and using Ad-Aware when they added their always-running part, and stopped installing and using Spybot when they started sneaking in that Teatimer thing, so I have no experience with all three running. Certainly I agree with you that maybe two or all three decide to fight it out for 5 minutes or so and bring all other computing to a standstill. (But I doubt it; I'm still leaning to hardware or driver, and maybe the BIOS update was all that was needed.)

alexamasan, if you are still experiencing the problem I suggest that launch Task Manager before trouble starts, then see what task(s) are using CPU during the slowdowns, paying particular attention to the anti-malware applications antech identified.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice