1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer/Programs Stops Responding?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by msu_spartan, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. msu_spartan

msu_spartan Thread Starter

Hope someone can help....
    My computer frequently stops responding for no reason. Sometimes I have to cut the power to reboot, other times I can get the Control Alt Del to do the job. I am running Win 98 Sec Ed. I recently installed McFee Virus Scan Home Ed. and a Wireless Optical Mouse. I am not sure if these could be the culprit. Also, when I do the Control Alt Del, I will see a program that has stopped responding and can usually get the computer going again by using "End Task". I don't know a lot about Computers so....please bare with me.

Thanks

2. Del

Del

What program do you see that is not responding?

3. Corrosive

Corrosive

Welcome to TSG!

To make a more positive diagnosis, I think we'll need a little bit of extra informaton:

1: Which program has stopped responding? You didn't say in you're post, and this could help.

2: When does it stop; during an installation, when you double click on a file, when you spill sulphuric acid on the keyboard...?

Any changes to a system may cause it to behave unexpectedly, so it is on the margins of acceptability that the virus scanner and/or the mouse driver (the software that you install to translate the movement of the mouse to on-screen movement) may be responsible for these problems, but so might other changes you might have made.

Mind you, Windows 98 isn't known as "the swiss cheese of operating systems" for nothing you know! :D

Edit: Del, this is the second time in the last five minutes you've just nipped in front of me when posting lol! :D

4. msu_spartan

It seems to be different programs, however Explorer is the most frequent.

5. Corrosive

Corrosive

Explorer? Ouch...

This is one of two things that MUST be running for you to use Windows, the other being the System Tray ("SysTray", surprisingly enough)

There may be something seriously wrong here.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok....go to software, running tasks, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

7. msu_spartan

Well, what other info can I give you to help???...
    I think sometimes it fixes itself because I don't always have to reboot, even if Explorer was the program that stopped working. Also, I have not yet been able to pick up on a pattern as to what may cause a program to stop working.

8. msu_spartan

Kernel32.dll 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation Win32 Kernel core component C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Kernel32.dll 4.3 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    MSGSRV32.EXE 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation Windows 32-bit VxD Message Server C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    Spool32.exe 4.10.1998 Microsoft Corporation Spooler Sub System Process C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Spool32.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    Mprexe.exe 4.10.1998 Microsoft Corporation WIN32 Network Interface Service Process C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Mprexe.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    Mstask.exe 4.71.1968.1 Microsoft Corporation Task Scheduler Engine C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Mstask.exe 4.0 Microsoft® Windows® Task Scheduler
    Mdm.exe 6.00.8149 Microsoft Corporation Machine Debug Manager C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Mdm.exe 4.0 Microsoft (R) Visual Studio
    Sagent2.exe 2, 1, 0, 0 SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION EPSON Printer Status Agent C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\EPSON\EBAPI\Sagent2.exe 4.0 EPSON Bidirectional Printer
    Avsynmgr.exe 7.01.6000.0 Network Associates, Inc. VirusScan Synchronization Service C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\Avsynmgr.exe 4.0 VirusScan Home Edition
    MMTASK.TSK 4.03.1998 Microsoft Corporation Multimedia background task support module C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MMTASK.TSK 4.0 Microsoft Windows
    Explorer.exe 4.72.3110.1 Microsoft Corporation Windows Explorer C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
    Taskmon.exe 4.10.1998 Microsoft Corporation Task Monitor C:\WINDOWS\Taskmon.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    Mk9805.exe C:\WINDOWS\Mk9805.exe 4.0
    Systray.exe 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation System Tray Applet C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Systray.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    Mm_tray.exe 1, 0, 0, 1 MusicMatch mmjb MFC Application C:\PROGRAM FILES\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH JUKEBOX\Mm_tray.exe 4.0 MusicMatch Jukebox
    Lwbwheel.exe 9.0.2.0 Mouse Control Application C:\PROGRAM FILES\BROWSER MOUSE\BROWSER MOUSE\1.0\Lwbwheel.exe 4.0
    Cmgrdian.exe 3.00.1051.0 Network Associates, Inc. McAfee Guardian Agent C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE SHARED COMPONENTS\GUARDIAN\Cmgrdian.exe 4.0 McAfee Windows Guardian
    Dcfssvc.exe 1.1.4400.0 Eastman Kodak Company Kodak DC Ring 3 Conduit (Win32) C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\KODAK\HYDRA_DR\Dcfssvc.exe 4.0 Kodak DC File System Driver (Win32)
    Rulaunch.exe 2.01.1012.0 Network Associates, Inc. Instant Updater Main Program C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE SHARED COMPONENTS\INSTANT UPDATER\Rulaunch.exe 4.0 McAfee Instant Updater
    Hotsync.exe 4.0.1 Palm, Inc. HotSync® Manager Application C:\PROGRAM FILES\SONY HANDHELD\Hotsync.exe 4.0 HotSync® Manager, Palm Desktop
    Wmiexe.exe 5.00.1755.1 Microsoft Corporation WMI service exe housing C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Wmiexe.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
    Vsstat.exe 7.01.6000.0 Network Associates, Inc. VirusScan System Tray C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\Vsstat.exe 4.0 VirusScan Home Edition
    E_s10ic2.exe 3.01 SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION EPSON Status Monitor 3 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_s10ic2.exe 4.0 EPSON Status Monitor 3
    Vshwin32.exe 7.01.6000.0 Network Associates, Inc. VirusScan System Scan C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\Vshwin32.exe 4.0 VirusScan Home Edition
    Avconsol.exe 7.01.6000.0 Network Associates, Inc. VirusScan Console C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\Avconsol.exe 4.0 VirusScan Home Edition
    Idialer.exe 4.27 AT&T Dialer to connect to network C:\PROGRAM FILES\AT&T GLOBAL NETWORK\Idialer.exe 4.0 Dialer
    Tapisrv.exe 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows(TM) Telephony Server C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Tapisrv.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    Rnaapp.exe 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation Dial-Up Networking Application C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Rnaapp.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    IGNWL.EXE C:\Program Files\AT&T Global Network\IGNWL.EXE 3.1
    Arupld32.exe 4.3.2.69 Visual Networks IP Connection Statistics C:\PROGRAM FILES\AT&T GLOBAL NETWORK\Arupld32.exe 4.0 Visual IP InSight
    Iexplore.exe 6.00.2600.0000 Microsoft Corporation Internet Explorer C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\Iexplore.exe 4.0 Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    Pstores.exe 5.00.1877.3 Microsoft Corporation Protected storage server C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Pstores.exe 4.0 Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
    Msimn.exe 6.00.2600.0000 Microsoft Corporation Outlook Express C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\Msimn.exe 4.0 Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    Winword.exe 9.0.2717 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft Word for Windows C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\Winword.exe 4.0 Microsoft Office 2000
    Msinfo32.exe 4.10.2222 Microsoft Corporation MSInfo32 C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\MSINFO\Msinfo32.exe 4.0 Microsoft System Information

9. ~Candy~

Well, that is a bunch of stuff.....McAfee has been known to create freezing problems on some systems. Quite frankly I don't keep it running all the time unless I need to scan emails.....it will be interesting though to see what you have starting every time Windows loads. I don't have a link at hand for Corrosive's suggestion, although I know what he's referring to.

How much ram do you have?

10. msu_spartan

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
    Clean install using OEM Preinstall Kit /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS /IS /IW /IQ /ID /IV /IZ /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    IE 5 6.0.2600.0000
    Uptime: 0:01:28:22
    Normal mode
    On "OEMCOMPUTER" as "Dmiller"
    Quantex Microsystems, Inc
    GenuineIntel Pentium(r) III Processor
    128MB RAM
    52% system resources free
    Windows-managed swap file on drive C (6276MB free)
    Available space on drive C: 6276MB of 9478MB (FAT32)
    Available space on drive D: 1221MB of 3467MB (FAT32)

11. Corrosive

Corrosive

Sorry, I deleted the post, but quite frankly I doubt the app would be required. I can't see much wrong with that running processes list, or rather, there doesn't seem to be anything malicious.

12. ~Candy~

I don't see anything bad there either, but it is a bit much.

What I would do, is start button, run, then type msconfig and hit ok...go to the startup tab and uncheck everything except the two load power profiles, scanregistry and systray. Then restart.....don't do anything with emails, etc. Try to do other stuff to see if any problems arise. Obviously stuff will need to be added back in......you might start with the McAfee stuff and work your way forward to see if you can eliminate stuff.

13. Del

Del

Your system resources seem rather low. Mine very seldom drops below 65 or 70%.

Hi Corrosive, high school typing... you gotz to type faster, that's all there is to it..haha

14. msu_spartan

Thanks,
    But.... How do these programs get into the start up in the first place and how can I tell which ones are needed? I don't recall adding them to the start up.

15. msu_spartan

System resources seem low.....
    I have not started any new programs, but when I reboot my resources are much higher around 75%. What could cause them to be reduced?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice