1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer property question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by compun00b, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compun00b

compun00b Thread Starter

Hi all, just wondering what that number is under computer properties where it says "Registered to"

Right click My Computer > select Properties ... under General TAB

I'm pretty sure that is not the windows Key, so I'm really not quite sure what it is. I have used this windows key before, but the number that showed up here was completely different.

Thanks in advance

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The number is a Product ID. It identifies the windows version, license type, language, and other information specific to your CD key and hardware. 76487-OEM-XXXXXXX-XXXXX is Windows XP Pro, OEM, and is US English version.

3. compun00b

compun00b Thread Starter

so... would it still be genuine if i used my own Windows Key but I use a different installation cd?

4. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

As long as it's the same version and neither the key or CD is an OEM version.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!