1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer random reboot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CNTnut, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CNTnut

CNTnut Thread Starter

My pc randomly reboots if I am playing a game or some other stuff. It mostly started happening when I got a new video card. And I am 90% sure that the card is the problem. when i installed it on XP Pro SP2 it said it hasnt been tested and might cause issues. I was wondering if I could fix the problem with a patch or something. I think that it is compatible for Vista but I dont have vista on my PC and i don't have the money to get it.

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    If the problem first started when you installed a new graphics card that is a good place to start.

Have you got the most up to date drivers for the card? The ones that were supplied with it are often out of date before the card even leaves the factory, so first thing to do is go to the Graphics Card manufacturers website and get the latest drivers then try it again.

Can you give us more information about your system specs? Exactly what make / model of graphics card is it?

3. raybro

raybro

Just to reinforce Tanis's oipinion. I had the very same thing a while back. Downloading and installing the latest drivers from the video card mfr's web site fixed it.

Raybro

4. CNTnut

CNTnut Thread Starter

It is an ATI, ot quite sure at the moment what model it is, But I have gone to the ATI site and there is only a driver for vista, I was wondering if there was a path or something. but I will post the info when i am home later today. I just am more familiar with xp and it is more compatible than vista with my programs. It's not that important, but doesn't that degrade my pc when it reboots suddenly?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice