1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer randomly disconnects from internet

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by fillysteps, Sep 1, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. fillysteps

fillysteps Thread Starter

Ok, so i have a bit of an issue on my hands. And i have no idea how to fix it.
    It's been happening for a long long time but i can't seem to find a solution after trying many things
    Main issue My computer, every once in a while, will just straight up disconnect from the internet at random intervals. It could happen every 30 minutes, it could not happen for a few hours.
    At first i thought it was my wifi adapter, since it was getting pretty old
    So i bought a new one, and it worked fine for a while but after a few days it started having the same issue
    And the problem usually can not be fixed until i go into the adapter settings and disable and re-enable it.
    Or unplug and replug
    So then i tried getting an ethernet connection
    and that seemed like it was going to work, but in the end, had the same exact issue, except this time, i didn't have to unplug it to get it to reconnect, it just had to wait a few seconds and it would reconnect on it's own.
    Then i thought,
    "Well it must be the router then"
    so i got a new router...worked for a while, but in the end same issue
    And before you think the second router was also an issue, i recently moved, and got yet another new router, this one the newest model they had
    Tried both wifi and ethernet on it aswell, same issues
    Now im wondering, what could be the problem. Anyone who can help would be much appreciated.
    And before you ask, yes i've done basic stuff like resetting the computer and router, factory resetting the router, etc.
    (PS this isn't really an issue with normal stuff like watching youtube and browsing the internet, but downloads and games being disconnected is a serious issue.)
    windows 7 intel i5, gtx1050ti spectrum internet.
    If this matters, i don't think my wifi adapter is the issue since it happens on ethernet aswell.

AtlBo likes this.
  2. lunarlander

lunarlander

3. fillysteps

fillysteps Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 16289 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (75 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., B85M-E
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Update your browser: go to Menu > Help > About, and it will check for and download the latest version.

Then update your browser plug-in's and extensions.

Update your network drivers. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager. Find network adapters. Click on the > at the beginning of the line to expand. Then right click on each driver and choose Update.

Update your USB driver as well, since you seem to be using a USB WiFi adapter.

5. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Also with lunarlander; make sure you have all the latest mobo drivers installed, to include the latest BIOS and chipset. Then make sure you have no driver errors being reported in device manager.

Since you pretty much covered all the basics and some advanced troubleshooting. It may be your ISP, or your ISP modem. May be time for a support call to your ISP. Sure sounds like a throttling issues of some kind or just a bad modem.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232361

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice