1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer randomly doing a hard shut down and I don't know why

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mcspyder0, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mcspyder0

Mcspyder0 Thread Starter

I tried to replace my heatsink on my CPU and i accidently pulled the CPU processor out of the motherboard with the heatsink attached to it. I broke my CPU and i sent it in for warranty replacement. I received the new processor and I put it in and my computer seems to be working fine....until for no reason it just did a hard shutdown and I could not turn it back on by pressing the power button. I had to wait a few minutes and remove the power supply plug and then reconnect it and flip the switch in order to reboot it. This has happened twice already, and basically my PC will do a hard shutdown and the green light on the motherboard even goes off. Does this mean I have damaged my motherboard or my powersupply or possibly both? I can use my computer fine for certain periods of time and then it will just randomly shutoff. I've used it for 2 hours before the first shutdown. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. pip22

pip22

Could be overheating under certain circumstances, depending on how much work the processor, GPU & RAM are having to do (more work = more heat generated). Try running it with one or even both sides removed (take care to ensure nothing external is getting in the way when it's running with sides removed). If doing that considerably increases it's running time without shutting down, it's almost certainly a cooling problem.

3. wolfworx

wolfworx

Did you use fresh heat transfer thermal compound and clean old material on the heat sink? Failure to do this could effect processor cooling.

4. Mcspyder0

Mcspyder0 Thread Starter

Yeah so far it hasn't crashed again since the first two crashes. The CPU was brand new and clean and they provided a new heatsink with fresh thermal paste on the button of it. I think it might have just been a building power surge twice ( that's what im hoping at least). Right now my computer has run stable for 4 hours and no crash. I'm thinking it might have just been a few freak random crashes

5. Megabite

Megabite

Lets check the temps

Try this

Download and install hwmonitor
    and see what the temps etc are. Download the 1.19 setup, english on the right-hand side.
    ....take a reading when not running a game or programs CPU(core) and GPU Video card and post them. (Just a screenshot of results is fine)

6. black-wolf

black-wolf

7. Mcspyder0

Mcspyder0 Thread Starter

[​IMG]

PC has been running stable for one whole day now. Everything seems to be working alright right now but I'm scared it's a precursor to a motherboard problem but everything seems perfect now so I guess until it crashes again I might be ok. Thanks for all the input so far guys and if it crashes again I'll be reporting here ASAP...love the site and appreciate all the help I've gotten from you guys over the years!

8. black-wolf

black-wolf

Take a look at your temperatures in the bios. HWMonitor is showing something at 128c, but I'm not sure what it is or if it is just a bad reading.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice