1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer randomly freezing after computer is on for a while

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Newuser12345215, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Newuser12345215

Newuser12345215 Thread Starter

Around a week ago, my computer started to freeze/lock up for 1-2+ minutes every 3-10 minutes. It takes about 2-3+ hours for the problem to start occuring but I do not think it is because of overheating. Though, even if I restart my computer, it still freezings if it starts to freeze. I'll have to leave my computer off for about 4-5+ hours(haven't really tested this much) before my computer stops freezing for a while, then the problem above repeats after a few hours of the computer being on.

I scanned stuff with Avast, Spybot, ad-aware, and bazooka and there were no problems.

I used memtest86+ to check if the problem is with the RAM, 4 whole tests and 4 passes(no errors found).

I used Motherboard Monitor, and I think the second sensor isn't working. For example:

[​IMG]
    . Sensor 2 usually says 110-125 C, but that seems too hot. I smell nothing burning or melting or do not see anything burning or melting.

I checked the temp. on the BIOS settings page, there are only two temperatures and they're both around 30-40 C.

I did the error-checking on the harddrive already.

I defragged, but there are quite a bit of red(fragmented) files that weren't able to be defragged, not sure if that may cause the problem. The files are music files it seems, it shows me that the files which are fragmented are in the desktop and they're nearly 1 Gig worth of files fragmented. The only files I have that large on the desktop are music files.

Is it possibly that I need to also "clean" my RAM not physically(not cleaning it for dust) but with some sort of program? While googling for info, there were these programs that state they can clean or improve the performance of the RAM but doesn't the RAM do that(erase unneeded data) when the computer shuts off?

Edit: I am using Windows XP

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

3. Newuser12345215

[​IMG] .

Sensor 2 goes up to 120+ C when I turn on Motherboard monitor which shows Sensor 2 at 120+ C most of the time.

Is there any program that keeps tracks of what program is using how much CPU, and within the last 5 minutes or so?

4. pigloo9

pigloo9

I have the same problem and the random freezes have started only just recently.. what's more... My PC at home is a new installation, and also, I seem to be getting the same symptoms on my PC at work.

5. pigloo9

pigloo9

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well this looks real normal to me. I would agree that the 120+C is incorrect. I have the same thing happen on a few Biostar boards with Speedfan as well.

7. Newuser12345215

The problem hasn't been occurring often anymore but happens after the computer is on for a long time.

Basically, the lock ups did not occur for over 2 weeks at all, then they started happening again but only when my computer is on for a while though even then it sometimes do not happen.

After my computer is on for over 5+ hours, it may happen but not always.

When it does happen, it will freeze/lock up my computer for over 2-3 minutes and every 5-10 minutes until I shutoff my computer and not turn it on for a while.

Also, when turning it off, it may freeze during the Windows shutting down sequence, it locks down when it says "Windows is shutting down".

8. Newuser12345215

I haven't tested it much but apparently, if the freezings start to occur, turning off my computer and just leaving it off for about a couple minutes before starting it back on "fixes the problem".

I remember that restarting doesn't really help it but I haven't tested it much and last time I only restarted and not just turned it off, waited a few minutes, then turned it back on.

Also, does anyone know a program that keeps track of what program usages how much CPU in the last hour or something like that? The windows taskbar isn't helpful because it only shows what each program is currently using, and not what they have used in the past.

Maybe I can trace it to a program if possible?

While searching around google, there seems to be these RAM cleaners that supposedly clean RAM(Data, not physically) and fixes certain problems but do these really work and could RAM be some sort of problem still if Memtest86+ checked it?

Like I said, I used Memtest86+ two different times, once when the computer started locking up and again when not. It is a total of 6 full tests that check 7 problems each.

I'll post here for more results of my "Restarting" theory.

9. bonk

bonk Banned

Just to clarify

Do you mean that Memtest showed problems in the tests on your memory?

I would run Memtest overnight so ythat the PC is on for awhile

10. Newuser12345215

My wording is a little off.

I meant to say that Memtest86+ ran six full tests. One full test has 7 tests to check if the RAM is working.

No errors at all.

11. bonk

bonk Banned

I would try and see if you can get more ventilation in the tower......also is you Video card running a bit warm possibly.

12. Newuser12345215

I left the case open for a few days and it still does that.

13. Meto

Meto

Hello all,

What I think is that you probably should go looking for a hardware problem. The RAM sticks are one of the things needed to be checked. Just open (if the machine is not a notebook of course) the case and switch the RAM sticks on the MB slots.

I have faced similar problem and it was MB connected. I had a brand new machine with a Gigabyte MB and after I tried and changed every part of it (including the power supply block), it was the MB itself which had been defect.

Cheers,
    Metodi

14. srhoades

srhoades

Might just be a bad MB. Check to make sure there aren't any bulging capacitors.

15. Newuser12345215

I just checked the error message using event viewer when the freezings occur, and this is what it says:

Is this the cause of the lock ups or just the error message that occurs because a lock up occured?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!