1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer randomly freezing(computer stays frozen until I shutdown)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Newuser12345215, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Newuser12345215

Newuser12345215 Thread Starter

Recently(about 2 weeks ago), my computer started freezing. It happened 5 times already(one of them occurred as I was typing this post). I wasn't doing anything in particular, just using Firefox to browser the web.

3 of the freezings occurred while I was just browsing, 2 occurred while my computer was starting up. No sites in general either, out of the 3 times I froze, I was on different sites each time(all of them are "known safe ones" too like ign.com, wikipedia, etc).

After the latest freeze(during browsing), I restarted my computer only for my computer to freeze again after 3 seconds(screen stayed the same, it happened right after it showed me my memory test). Then I restarted my computer again and it froze before anything showed up(monitor did not detect anything so the monitor did not show anything).

Here's what I have done so far:

1. I used memtest86 and done 3 full tests, no errors on any tests.

2. Did anti-virus and anti-spyware scan on my computer(I used: Avast, Spybot, Adaware).

3. Checked Windows Event Viewer(unfortunately it didn't log anything).

Here's the last things I did to my computer before I noticed the freezings:
    1. I downloaded and installed Secunia PSI.

2. I downloaded and installed the latest version of WinRAR and Quicktime player(recommendations from Secunia).

3. I also installed various security patches from microsoft update.

Besides that, nothing in particular.

Also I noticed when my computer freezes, my keyboard's "Num Lock", "Caps Lock" and "Scroll Lock" keys do not function.

I'm not sure if when the computer freezes, those keys can be activated on/off or not. I'm just pointing this out in case you should be able to activate those keys in the event of a computer freeze. Just wondering. My optical mouse still lights up when the computer freezes though.

Any, the questions are:

1. Does anyone know of any programs that'll help me figure out why my computer is freezing? Like what about programs that check certain hardware(besides RAM, since I used memtest86 already) that may cause freezes?

2. Does anyone have any idea on what may be causing this?

3. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do to figure this out?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Well, first thing you could try is restoring your system to a date before you installed Secunia.

Can you check if any minidump files have been created lately in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump? ZIP them and attach them to your next post.

3. 12tipp12

12tipp12

Hi, try uninstalling the new apps 1 by 1 until you identify which app's driver is causing the problem.

Bill

My bet is that it's secunia as that app is in the early stages of development or of course it may be one of the others

4. Newuser12345215

Nope, no recent minidump files, at least not any on dates the freezes occurred. The last minidump I had was on March 17, the freezes started occuring on April 8.

Also I tried uninstalling Secunia and Quicktime, freezes still occur.

I think it's most likely a hardware issue rather than software.

I seen two instances of "freezes" as my computer was booting up, so I don't think software is the problem. Also note that those two instances of the computer freezing on boot up only occurred after I restarted my computer "immediately" after I froze once already(while Windows was already fully loaded anyway).

Also I noticed that the freezes are occuring a lot more often than before.

On April 8, my computer froze for the first time.

Then it didn't freeze again after constant computer usage(I'd say 4-5 hours a day) until 5 days later(April 13).

This time it didn't freeze until after 3 days later.

Now it freezes once every 1-2 days.

Also I noticed that if I freeze, then restart immediately, the chance of the computer freezing again was high.

So far I tried replacing my SATA cable that connects from my motherboard to my hard drive, still freezes. Again, I tested my RAM using Memtest86(everything was ok).

Again, does anyone know of any programs that'll help me figure out why my computer is freezing? Like what about programs that check certain hardware(besides RAM, since I used memtest86 already) that may cause freezes?

I'll try replacing other pieces of hardware as I get extra hardware.

Again I don't think it's a software issue since my computer froze twice while the computer was just booting up(unless software could cause that also?).

5. techservices24

techservices24

You should remove all the unwanted start-ups including "Secunia PSI'' start-up by using the msconfig utility.

6. Newuser12345215

Ok, I found out that it probably isn't a software problem or a problem with the hard drive.

I replaced my hard drive with an old back up from January 2009(three months before the freezing problem occurred), and my computer still froze.

So I can confirm:

1. Not RAM(memtest 86 tested).

2. Not hard drive or software problem.

3. Not a problem with the IDE or SATA cables(I tried replacing those and it still froze).

Also a new problem occurred, the computer shuts off by itself after a while. Once it shuts off, I can't turn it back on after a while.

Now I don't think it's my power supply because my PSU is fairly new(It's this one) and it's 80 watts higher than my old PSU that I was using on my comp for a good 4 years.

I'm guessing it's my motherboard that is going bad(or maybe the video card or CPU?)? My motherboard is 4-5 years old so I am guessing it's the one going bad. So does anyone think from this(comp shutting off and losing power) that it's the motherboard(again, the PSU is fairly new)?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!