1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer randomly locks up/reboots - could it be the hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by angrypanther, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angrypanther

angrypanther Thread Starter

I have a Lenovo P400 Touch running Windows 8.

Hello, first time post.

When conducting normal computer activities, like booting, connecting to a network, surfing the web, etc., my computer will completely lock up, sometimes for hours on end. Sometimes, it will fail to boot, saying something to the effect of "checked media - failed," or it will stick on the Lenovo load screen indefinitely.

These problems first began after upgrading to Windows 8.1, though this is likely a coincidence. I reset the system back to Windows 8, which solved the issues temporarily, though they came back after about a week.

Thinking I may have had a virus, I downloaded MalwareBytes and ran a scan, and nothing came up. I also ran Norton Power eraser, and, again, no issues.

Turning next to the hard drive, I downloaded Seatools for Windows. The computer will sometimes fail the SMART diagnostic, usually fail the Short Diagnostic Self Test, and always fail the Short Generic test, always with the code 6C9AC2A4. I know this means that the diagnostic couldn't find the drive's serial number, but I have no idea what that actually means. Is the hard drive failing, or does the problem lie elsewhere?

Thank you in advance.

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Hello, a healthy drive will never fail any of these diagnostics. So it looks like you found your culprit.
    Backup your data asap and replace the drive. Good excuse for moving to an SSD? Just saying...

Good luck and best regards
    The Cleaver

3. angrypanther

angrypanther Thread Starter

Thank you; that is what I feared.

Do you happen to know how expensive it would be to have the hard drive replaced and upgraded to a SSD? If it is too pricey, I will simply upgrade the whole laptop.

4. CleaverX

CleaverX

Sorry I would not know. I just reviewed the process from the maintenance manual found here:
    http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_z_p_series_hmm_v1.0.pdf

It is quite a bit more complicated than most laptops, so if you want to do it yourself make sure you have a copy of the manual in front of you and be very careful with the screws. Also I hope you have the recovery media to reinstall the Operating system afterward. The original drive is a 1Tb 5400 rpm unit so depending on your usage and budget, you might want to stick with the same type unless you are willing to pay the dough it costs for a decent size SSD, so it would be up to you to decide what you can live with in terms of capacity.

The Cleaver

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1131458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice