1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Randomly Restarting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by intolerance, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. intolerance

intolerance Thread Starter

My problem first started about a week ago. Bought the World Of Warcraft game and installed it. Major lag. Noticed that my computer was only seeing 256 of the 512 ram i was running. Fixed the problem no lag. I upgraded my memory from 512 to 768. While in game just at random times my computer will restart completely, no errors, a couple times i recieved a BSOD. Took back the new stick of ram and got it replaced, still the same problem. Thought my CPU might be over heating replaced the heatsink. my CPU runs at 42C idle. and just less than 50C on a heavy load. Still having the same prob. Replaced my powerunit from 350W to 500W. Still same problem.

My Specs:
    AMD Athlon 2400+ Xp
    Ati Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB
    768 pc 2700 ram
    40 gm HD

My case has 6 80mm fans counting the two for the power unit.
    my video card fan works fine. very clean
    my CPU fan works without a hitch.
    I'm at the end of my rope.. anyone know whats going on here?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You're still using an original stick of RAM that you have'nt replaced right?

Test the RAM: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Do you have the latest video, sound, lan, and chipset drivers? Latest DirectX? Any game patches out for WoW?

3. intolerance

yes the 256 that came with the computer is still there.. and i have tried switching them all around both sticks of 256 and the 512, trying everything. also i have updated my video drivers, the WoW patches update automaticly or i couldn't play. My sound card is just the onboard card... not sure if i need to update those. and i will check the memory as soon as i get home tonight.. i'm at work...

4. winbob

winbob

In Control Panel/System/Advanced, uncheck Automatically Restart in the Recovery area. Then when it crashes you will see the cause message.

5. intolerance

Man when i got home from work last night first thing i did was check the CPU temp. because it had been off for about 15 hours.. the CPU temp at startup was 22C. Then i did the MEMCHECK thing.. ran through that test without a hitch. Then i went into MSCONFIG and turned off all startup programs (i read this somewhere) and turned on my game.. played for about two hours without a restart.. i'm starting to think that it had something to do with one of my startup programs. maybe the drivers were incorrect. or something stupid like that... also as i was going to be i turned on prime95 and let it do it's torture test for 6 hours.. this morning i woke up and stopped it, it stated that it had ran for hours with no errors, and no warnings.. that test uses 100% of the CPU for the 6 hours, and the CPU temp was still 50C when i got up.. so i think i might have found the problem.. anyway.. thank you guys for all the help...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324747

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice