1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer randomly shuts down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wisconsinb5, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wisconsinb5

wisconsinb5 Thread Starter

Hi there. I recently bought a new processor and installed it, i'm 99% sure I used enough thermal compound when I installed it, and the socket is right, and the computer recognizes it. I checked the max temperature for all of my large components in my laptop and all of them are running at about a third of the max. The new processor is a 2.6 gHz and was never used before. The old one was a 1.8 gHz and worked fine all the time. Regardless, my laptop decides to shut down at random intervals no matter if I'm playing a graphics intensive game or just browsing the internet.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    That's quite a big jump in Cpu speed.

In your next reply please include the exact make and model of the laptop and the same for the original and upgrade Cpus.

3. Frost_WD

Frost_WD Western Digital Representative

Hi wisconsinb5,

I agree, providing the full specs would be helpful. Other than that you could make sure all the rest of the components are firmly in place. Take a look in Windows event viewer (posting a screen would be best) and see what is going on at the time of the crashes. Also see it you are hitting 100% on anything on resource manager.
    Also, could tell us if you are getting a BSOD and if so what is the error code?

Keep us posted,
    Frost_WD

4. wisconsinb5

Okay so a big detail I forgot to put in there was that while I was changing out the cpu's, a screw fell in the laptop and I couldn't find it so I unscrewed the one screw that held in the motherboard and loosened it up a little bit, then shook it upside down to try and get it out, it never came out. Then I put the screw back in the motherboard. The screw that fell in it was one of the 2 on my fan. I have 1 on there now but it doesn't really move around much and is still aligned with the metal grate in front of it.
    Also, the old processor is a intel celeron b830, the new one is a intel core i3-3130m, according to a website I visited, the new processor is more efficient and easier on the battery. Both are socket g2, it's a toshiba satellite c855-s5347 and it's about 2 or 3 years old. Also, it has no warning when it shuts off, the screen just goes black and the power on light turns completely off. It even does this if I have it plugged in. On another note, I just switched out my 320gb hard drive for a new 1 TB one and added 4gb of RAM for a total of 8gb, and the computer worked completely fine up until I switched out the CPU's. I used the laptop the other day for gaming and didn't touch it at all, just used a wireless mouse and it still just shut off, so I don't believe it's caused by movement.

5. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I think you should do your very best to find that screw, it could do serious damage if it shorts something inside the laptop.

6. wisconsinb5

I did my best but it didn't appear to be in there, the only place it could be is under the motherboard or somewhere on the ground. I went to remove the motherboard but one end was still attached somehow so I put everything back together like I've done time and time before and uhm, now my keyboard doesn't work. At all. Also, I'm using my school laptop right now if you're wondering.

7. Frost_WD

Hi wisconsinb5,

I'm sorry about the trouble you are having :(. It would seem best if you can take the laptop to an expert at this point. It could that screw you dropped has short circuited some of your components. Either way I do not recommend forcing the laptop to work (for other things than testing) until you know what is the problem and resolve it.
    If you wish to troubleshoot yourself, I would recommend making sure that your CPU is mounted correctly and the thermal paste is sufficient. As you have added RAM, do tell us if you are using sticks of the same model and brand. Also, try to boot the system with just one stick of RAM (test both sticks on all the slots). As this could be a problem with the motherboard itself, try to boot with no RAM in. The systems should start protesting madly with beeps, if it doesn't you can safely assume that you need a new motherboard. By “it is not working at all” do you mean that there are no fans kicking in, no led lights, in two words – no sign of life? Be sure to tell us you can hear a beep code when you try to boot.
    Another thing to try is striping your system to the essential components and seeing if it will get into BIOS (Motherboard, CPU, one stick of RAM).

P.S. You can do a backup of all important data that is on the HDD just to be on the safe side (by removing, if that does not void warranty)

Keep us posted and best of luck,
    Frost_WD

8. wisconsinb5

Only my keyboard stopped working but I believe that is a problem with my hard drive because sometimes when I put it in, the top buttons will be inverted so I don't have to push fn to use f1,f2,f3, etc. But I do have to push fn to change my volume and brightness and such. When I stripped it yesterday I unscrewed the hard drive and took it out of its casing, then put it back in its casing and put it back in the laptop just to make sure. The laptop doesn't beep when it shuts off, there's just one big click sound that it makes whenever it shuts off, whether I shut it off myself or if it does it. Also, it works completely fine, I can get in and out of the BIOS no problem, it is just a matter of time before it shuts off for me, other than that, everything is fine. And I did check the CPU and it's all fine and dandy

9. Frost_WD

Hi

What you are describing sounds more like a power problem rather that a hard drive one. If the problem was in your hard drive you would probably see a BOSD with a specific code. Could you post a screen shot of your Windows event viewer from the time of the crashes? Also see if you are hitting 100% with any of your components in resource manager.
    I would caution you not to use the system extensively before the problem is removed – such sudden power downs are unhealthy and could lead to further problems.

Keep me posted,
    Frost_WD

10. wisconsinb5

I asked my electronics teacher today and he thinks the screw is under the motherboard and is short circuiting some of the components, such as my keyboard. I will, however take a screenshot of the event viewer.

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  12. wisconsinb5

Did it, stripped almost the entire thing except the display, found out that my keyboard was disconnected so i reconnected it, now it works fine, the screw isn't in there so it probably just fell on the carpet before. I now believe the limited battery time has something to do with the processor, the battery, or the slot that the battery plugs into.

13. wisconsinb5

Okay so I just checked the event log and it said "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error is caused because the system stopped responding and the hardware watchdog triggered a system reset."
    Also said audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0 after I turned it back on after it shut down.
    Soo, I'm thinking it's the battery?

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Try running it using just the charger with the battery out and see if it still shuts down or not.

Those event log entries don't really tell us anything new and look normal for a sudden power off.

15. wisconsinb5

Still shuts off when going off of just the charger

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice