1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer randomly shuts off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Justweirdout, Dec 6, 2018 at 5:27 PM.

Advertisement
  1. Justweirdout

Justweirdout Thread Starter

My computer will completely shut down, no warning, and completely randomly. It does this extremely frequently and I don't know why. I don't know where else to ask this but I'm getting tired of it.

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

A couple of possibilities: it could be a failing power supply unit, or the PC is too hot and turning itself off to prevent damage.

3. Justweirdout

Well it's definitely not too hot bc my room is really cold so I guess it's the power supply. Weird thing is tho is that the monitor shuts off first and the computer itself follows like a couple minutes after

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

When you say the monitor shuts off first, does the screen say lost signal or does it power off with no led lights?

5. Justweirdout

It says it's lost signal

6. replay

replay

a overheating computer would be more likely to do with... lack of fans intake and exhaust/old thermal paste/poor heatsink contact on cpu ....etc

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

So if the monitor says lost signal, then it didn't really power off. That is the graphics card giving up. Replay is right. Check the things he said.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice