Computer randomly shutsdown, but fans still running

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tomtj

My computer recently started "shutting down" randomly. However, when it shutsdown, all the fans and power seem to still be running while the monitor goes into standby mode. I then have to force the computer to turn off completely. Sometimes, the computer would shutdown during the bootup stage or not start at all. I've noticed the light on my CD drive goes orange whenever this happens.

I have an AMD Athlon 2800
Radeon 9700
512 single stick of ram
400w power supply.

I have already tried replacing the power supply.
Any suggestions.

It might be a thermal shutdown, i.,e., cpu is running too hot. Make sure the fan on top of your cpu is running and there is no blockage or impairment of the air being sucked in by this fan. There is usually a separate air duct to the outside the case for this fan.

You might try opening the case, removing this duct and then running the computer with the case open. See if your problem goes away.

tomtj

thanks for the reply. Temps are ok i think. It averages around 46 degrees and I've felt the heatsink which wasn't hot at all. I've ran it without the case, but same result.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online