1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Randomly Shutting Off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fooath, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fooath

Fooath Thread Starter

It started happening after I installed WinXp. But I figure it's the power supply, just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

I know it isnt heat related because sometimes I'll start up the comp, it will load Windows, background comes up, and it just shuts off. Sometimes it will be on for 14 hours, and it will just shut off. If I try to start it up again with button on front it will do nothing. It seems the only way to get it to work is to turn off the power supply with button on the back, then click button on front and it will start up.

2. happyrck

happyrck

did you get SP 2...or any updates....what are your computer components...what about a anti virus or firewall...

3. bizziebill

bizziebill

Had the same problem. Just up and shut down on me. Would have to turn off main power to get it to start up again.
    Replaced the cooler fans and that didn't help. Turns out it was that cpu fan stopping and restarting, but it wasn't the fan, was in the motherboard connection.
    I switched the cpu fan connection with the tower fan connection to see if that would fix the problem. My system hasn't shut down anymore, been over a week now.

4. erick295

erick295

You say you know it isn't heat-related because it happens during startup, but that doesn't neccessarily rule it out. Download SpeedFan and look at your fan speeds and temperatures. Also take a look at your PSU voltages.

It's almost certainly a hardware problem, not Windows-related. I would start by replacing the PSU. If that doesn't work, and you can't find a bad fan or a heat problem, you might try a new motherboard (but that's a serious pain since you have to reinstall Windows - too bad there's not a way around that, hopefully Vista won't cause that kind of trouble... I don't see why there isn't a way to change boards).

5. Fooath

Fooath Thread Starter

Ok, now it's getting wierder. The last few times it's shut down I've unplugged it, checked inside the case just to make sure, and as soon as I plug it back in it starts up, I didn't have to push the power button on the front of case like I usually had to in the past.

Here are the readings from speedfan, if anyone knows what they mean:
    (I also switched now switched my cpu fan connector and put it on where the Power fan is, and put power were cpu is suppose to go)
    Fan1: 3309 RPM
    Fan2: 2377 RPM

Temp1: 25C
    Temp2: 42C
    Temp1: 39C

VCORE:1.66V
    +3.3V: 1.52V
    +5V:4.95V
    +12V:12.10V
    -12V:2.04V
    -5V:0.58V
    +5VSB:5.54V
    VBAT:3.12V

I also just replaced the RAM with 512MB stick, updated BIOS, installed a new (used) CPU, and formatted both drives and installed Windows XP. (formatted and installed windows XP because flashing the BIOS ended up not allowing me to boot, but aside from the shutting down problem everything is working fine)

6. erick295

erick295

Those temperatures and fan speeds look normal - however, these voltages are very concerning:

+3.3V: 1.52V
    -12V:2.04V
    -5V:0.58V

It's normal for negative voltages to be a little off, but yours are so far off that they're positive - or, if you just left off the negative sign, they are way too high. Also, your +3.3 voltage is half of what it should be. You might wait for a second opinion, but I think you've probably found your problem: a bad PSU.

7. godpuppet

godpuppet

This sounds firmiliar with another PSU thread ive read...

8. Fooath

Fooath Thread Starter

Which one where?!

9. godpuppet

godpuppet

10. Fooath

Fooath Thread Starter

That's what I was going to try, the only problem is the other PSUs I have, one is too old and has extra cords and no connection for my psu fan that matches the motherboard, the other one is too new, and has the four prong connector for PSU fan, and no three hole I need. The motherboard I have has a connector for the PSU fan same as the cpu fan, with three holes.

11. Fooath

Fooath Thread Starter

That brings up another question, is there a way to know if I order online if the PSU has the 3 hole connector for the PSU fan and not the four hole one? Or do most have the three hole one?

12. happyrck

happyrck

13. Fooath

Fooath Thread Starter

14. happyrck

happyrck

yeah the molex conector is what you see(large white 4pin) but there is a small 3 pin connector to..like for a fan...go to a local repair shop and see if they have one for you to look at

15. Fooath

Fooath Thread Starter

Ok, thanks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/457931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice