1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer randomly turns off while gaming....Please help!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Maximum-p, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Maximum-p

Maximum-p Thread Starter

Ok I've been having this prob for afew months.

My comp would just randomly turn its self off while I was playing. It was like someone just pulled the power cord out of the wall, and i could power it up strait away after it did it.
    I replaced the PSU thinking it was underpowered and it seemed to fix it.....for only a few weeks and now it has started doing it again. My new PSU is 550w so i don't think its that.

I have a small feeling that it is overheating. In speed fan my first core says 19C but the 2nd one is 53C! is that normal? that is an idle temp btw.

And i can play Left 4 Dead for aslong as i want on low graphics but when i bump it up to MAX setting it will only last about 30mins....And it also seems to turn off faster on hot days

Plz help i have no idea what to do. This comp has been working fine for about a year, why would it start overheating now?

2. Silentorb

Silentorb

Hmm, I've had a similar problem. Are you using a CD to play the game? or something that is inserted into the CD rom drive?

The reason mine did it, was because of dust build up in the computer, if it means anything give it a good clean and give it a try.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sounds very much like heat releated, as suggested clean out all the dust, from the fans etc

this does sound like a problem,

4. Jarus

Jarus

From the sound of it you might want to clean your computer out/invest in a new cooler as you want to keep your computer at a reasonable temperature otherwise you'll end up with a fried GPU like my friend (a lesson to all novice overclockers).

Personally I'm considering going liquid cooled with my next computer

5. darkclyde456

darkclyde456

my friend had a usb port bad and his would do the same thing, it only took him 3 months to solve,lol. chech that out if it still does that after cleaning

6. computer guru

computer guru

(y)sounds like your cpu is over heating just like when i wrote a simple program for my 3.33ghz to count to 1 billion lol. only made it to about 150 million id sugjest looking at your cooling and maybe get a new cpu fan and memory coolers?:confused:

7. furyownage

furyownage

It could be a heating issue, but it could be its not getting enough power so it turns the game off. Do you have a video card, and what's your power supply?

8. DerekC

DerekC

LOL, I sure hope he has a video card :D , if not then we know what the problem is .....

He has NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT listed in his specs, and the first post mentions a 550w PSU

9. Maximum-p

Maximum-p Thread Starter

Alright I just tested my comp downstairs in the living room where it is really cool. I opened Speedfan and used Prime95 to do a stress test.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w65/maximum-p/Speedfan.jpg

Ok so after about 5 minutes Temp 3 had gone up to about 105C!

And the 2nd core had gone up to around 90C

I felt the air getting blown out of my comp and i also opened the case and put my hand in and it didn't really feel that hot. Then after about 30 more seconds it turned off.....

And the weird thing is it does not list the fan speeds for my system fan and PSU fan as you can see in the pic above. They are both definitely spinning.

10. Brosif

Brosif

maybe you should go and buy and internal cooler, or a new fan. your comp also heats up faster when you bump the stuff up to its max graphics setting because it requires your computer to do more and work harder, i also had this problem for a breif time while i was playing guild wars, but it stopped. and are you sure YOU arent turning it off? lol

11. x I Joker I

x I Joker I

Yeah I agree with the heat related problem, my fan messed up a little while back, and the same thing was happening to me at that time. now it's fixed. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/778405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice