1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer randomly turns off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by R-Gunslinger, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R-Gunslinger

R-Gunslinger Thread Starter

Hi,

I am using an HP e-pc machine (which uses a small form factor motherboard) and recently it simply switches off with no warning what so ever. Seems to happen more often when running intense applications.

I'm unable to reboot it using the power switch, I have to manually unplug the cable, and plug it back in at the back to get it to turn on. It'll switch off in dos (in the bios menu) and in windows, no bsod or anything similar.

I thought it was a heat issue, however after ensuring the heatsink+fan were properly set, then leaving the case open and hainvg a second fan blow at it, it still turns itself off.

This is a pentium III machine, and unfortunately there are no temperature gauges in the bios, and I don't everest doesn't recognise any either. The power supply is an external one, similar to a laptop power supply design, using a 19v/3.16A.

I am not normally able to keep it running for over an hour.

Thanks in advance,

Louis.

2. Gary335

Gary335

Since you've determined its not a heating issue, it could be a power supply issue. Do you have another power supply you could test?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/503038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice