computer rarely boots

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

automator

I was told a new hard drive would fix this error, but it didnt.
My computer very rarely boots up successfully.
After about 1 and 25 tries, it beeps and turns on successfully, continuing to all of the steps of the boot process.
But the other 24 times, i turn it on, and it just sits there, without a beep, or the monitor powering on all the way to a screen. All that happens is the "read" light on my cd rom blinks.
(even when i have no cd in)

Any ideas

It could be many things. RAM, power supply, bad cables...lots of stuff. If I were you, I'd pull out the ram and reseat it, along with any other cards installed in the machine...almost tear it apart and reconnect everything (not the CPU). While you're at it, clean it out, blow out the dust etc.

I'm guessing at power supply though...but by no means should you just go buy one yet. There are other things we can try first.

Scorp.

automator

yeah i was thinking power supply too.
it's just about the only thing i haven't replaced in it and i've had it forever.
it makes sense though.

thanks a bunch

Usually the 1st thing I like to check is the BIOS/CMOS battery
Chances are its dead
if so get a new one

automator

Where can a cmos battery be purchased?
Do i have to get one specific for my motherboard manufacture/model etc?

automator

Im aware of how to change them, i just didnt know wether or not i had to find a battery specific for my mobo.
Im not looking to get it local, but rather online, like newegg or tigerdirect, but wasnt sure if they carried them.
Thanks though, ill browse around for that kind of battery.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Staff online

Members online