1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer re-starts on shut down.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Buga, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Buga

Buga Thread Starter

I have been playing with this problem for a while now. I bought a USB IEEE combo PCI card. 6 x 4 . When i first got it and installed all seemed ok. Everything I hooked up to it all worked great. Didnt think much about it. But when I went to shut-down the puter. It goes through everything, says shut down good, but then restarts. I thought, odd. After trying for a few days checking settings and stuff, nothing seemed to help. Started getting good at timing during shut-down to push and hold the power button to shut off at the right time. That became very annoying after a week. So i started going backwards in un-installing stuff to maybe find the problem. Un-installed a couple programs. Nothing. Then I took out this card and poof. worked like it should. So I left it out for 2 weeks. Did my normall computing thing. No problems. Ok, I decided to try the card again. Put it back in and poof went back to not shuting down. That was before I found this site. Have had it out for a couple months. But since allmost everything anymore is USB, and my MB only has 2 USB, It sucks. I got a Printer,Palm,Cam,APC Back-up, that all use USB. Changing them around for what ever I need to use just bits. I need to see if I can get this card to work.

I dont have the card installed now. Thought Id see if I could get a few tricks or something to try first. Not sure on the spec of the card. But the chip says ALi. I can list everything else if it might help. Printed on the board ISB2.0&IEEE1394a 420ALIM52710A_1.1 Sticker on the back ALI(M5271) combo card.

This is somewhat of and older computer. 800 MHZ running ME.All-In-Wonder 7600 Video card, 512 MB Ram, 80GB H.D.. Past week just put it all into a Axio X5 w/ 480W P.S.

Any help would be great. Thanxs

2. Buga

Buga Thread Starter

I went and installed the card again. Once i had it in and case all closed up. Plugged the power cord back in and the puter came on. Checked everything again. All device drivers are fine. Still wont shut-down. You hear the H.D. Shut down then all fans and lights. then 1/2 a second after that it all comes back to life.

So i tried changeing the card into a diff. slot. SAme thing. Ideas?

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Go into the bios, find the power management options, then make sure it's not set to WOL (wake on lan) or wake on mouse, or wake on IRQ. Save and exit..

4. Sanstorm999

Sanstorm999

Hi,
    I think your Ali combo card has usb2.0 have you got all or any of the Win ME Drivers/patches for this etc? I have not checked Win ME USB2.0 Requirements

Good luck

5. Buga

Buga Thread Starter

I went into Bios. WOL is not set. Saved still having problem. Not exactly sure what you mean by Win ME Drivers patches. I have tried to look for driver updates for it but haven't found any. Im wondering if it could just be the card itself. Since it does it before installing the drivers. after drivers. Hope not. I went ahead and hooked up everything to the card printer, palm, etc. All works great. Just the shut down.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271256

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice