1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer really slow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maobalance, Apr 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maobalance

maobalance Thread Starter

I have no idea where to post this so i'll put it here and I can move it accordingly.

So my laptop has been slow within the last 6 months maybe, although i didnt touch it for a while and I have had it for maybe 6 years or so. I've tried everything, updating drivers, running anti virus programs, deleteing files and games, I even factory reset it!
    And it's still slow, even up until I think 6 months ago I didn't have trouble running things, I use it for gaming but now I even lag playing simple 2d games like binding of isaac, prison escape, all sorts of stuff. GTA too but thats higher running, i didn't lag at all with boi last year, and barely with gta v last year. but i'm just getting to the point where I want to get rid of it because i'm going insane. although new computers and laptops are pricey.

any advice or help or anything would be great. just frustrated at how much it sucks now.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    We know nothing about your computer, other than it's a 6 years old laptop, so please do the following in it:

Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file.
    After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
    Information about your computer will appear.
    Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

----------------------------------------------------------------

maobalance likes this.
  3. maobalance

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8139 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M, -1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 697 GB (500 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Alienware, M14xR1
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a Dell Alienware M14x series laptop which has the below described processor and graphics device.
    It also appears to be maxed out with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM.
    What's the exact 7-character "service tag" number on yours?

cpu.JPG gpu.JPG

With all the issues you're having, you should consider doing a clean re-install of Windows 10 Home 64-bit in it.
    Doing that will give it a fresh start and breathe new life in it.

5. maobalance

where do I find the 7-char service tag?
    I just reformatted my whole computer within a month and its just as bad. Nothing seems to be helping at this point i'm not sure what to do besides give up on this computer.

6. maobalance

C9M2CS1

7. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Check Device Manager. Look for any devices with alerts (ie: yellow ! or red x )

Open Task Manager and check cpu/RAM/HDD usage.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to that service tag number, you have THIS Dell Alienware 14x laptop which originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit.
    Yours has since been upgraded to Windows 10 Home 64-bit, but it appears to still have all of its original hardware.

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. maobalance

yeah i put windows 10 on it in the beginning of september 2018, it still didnt lag or anything when i did that it worked well till maybe november december latest

10. maobalance

seems all fine and dandy, one of the first things i did when i had this problem, i even had so many drivers that needed updating and ive since updated all of them( it was just sooo many)

11. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Maybe your HDD is starting to fail. You may want to consider to back up your HDD and run a test on it.
    You may want to buy an SSD and it will run a little bit faster (optional).

12. maobalance

thanks for the advice, i have a feeling it probably is some sort of hardware thats just going at this point. also the computer never overheated in the past but the last two months it has been, would that have to do with a certain hardware getting hotter, besides the obvious answer of the fans suck

13. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Life span of a HDD is approx. 6 years. I don't know what might have happened when you had your computer stored. The first thing that gets hot besides the CPU is the HDD. It won't hurt you to just test your drive to see if it has no signs of defects.
    I would also consider what flavallee stated "make a fresh install of your OS for best results". Make sure you backup your files before attempting this.

14. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If it's overheating, then the cpu is likely throttling (ie: drastically slowing itself down) to prevent damage.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Jim(Oddba11) is correct.
    If the processor gets too hot, it will run at a slower speed, which in turn will slow everything down.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice