1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Rebooting on start-up, then a "serious error" message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LauraMJ, Mar 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator Thread Starter

Hi, I am running Windows XP Pro, I've just upgraded to this OS. With my upgrade, I got a brand-new, larger hard drive, new motherboard, more memory and faster processor (needed all that to keep up with my website :rolleyes: ).

I've had this OS just a couple of weeks, and very often, probably 80% of the time, it will reboot on start up and give me an error message that it has recovered from a serious error. Nothing seems effected by this, there are NO freezing up (thank God, my Windows 98 was freezing up every 15 minutes) once it gets over that initial start-up, it runs perfectly. Well except for two things: my Incredimail program, but that is another thread in the software forum, and my ZoneAlarm (basic).

Now, I think my ZoneAlarm may be a part of this rebooting/error problem. Here's why I think so:

I've been having problems with my ZoneAlarm's TrueVector, a series of three error messages in the Event Viewer's application logs. Some people on the ZoneAlarm's forums have been helping me try to find out why I keep getting these three "files have been corrupted....." errors. While working on it, I've done several clean un-installs. I finally noticed that when I had ZoneAlarm either NOT starting at start-up or reboot, or not installed at all, I have NO problems with auto re-boots or system error messages. Then, I noticed that when I did re-install it, the system would start up normally for a couple of days, then there would be error messages and auto re-boots on start-up again. When I checked the Event Viewer directly after, and checked the times, there were ZoneAlarm errors FIRST, then there were the system errors. This all seems to be very consistant. If ZoneAlarm has no errors logged, the system has no errors.

When I send a report of the system error, and follow that information, it says that it is a driver problem, but that Microsoft can't determine which one.

Could a driver (I'm assuming ZoneAlarm has one) be what's causing this problem? If so, it seems to be a "I don't like your computer" problem, because we've completely un-installed and re-installed ZoneAlarm several times.

I see that there is a "fix" that can be downloaded that is supposed to take care of a "this system has recovered from a serious error" message, found on this page:

http://www.windowsxpforums.com/tweaksandupdates/

Would this help me any? Even if it may be a problem with ZoneAlarm?

Or am I totally off-base with the ZoneAlarm thing, and this is a Windows XP Pro thing and it's all just a coincodence?

Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated!

2. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

Rather that installing a fix, I would try 1st to isolate the issue.

The first thing to do is to remove the automatically reboot option and post the STOP error.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.
    Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.
    Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

3. LauraMJ

Okay, here is the message I got on the first Start-up:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent further damage to your computer.

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these directions:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for an Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to disable or remove components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Start up Options and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
    ***STOP: 0x0000004E (0xOOOOOO8F, 0xOOO17FDF, 0x000112B3, 0x00000000)

Beginning dump of Physical Memory
    Physical memory dump complete

Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further asstance.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does that help?

4. dai

dai

control panel/system/advaced/performance settings/advanced/virtual memory/
    change
    to system managed size
    if it is already set to this,turn it off and then turn it back on

5. LauraMJ

I changed the virtual memory to System managed size. Upon re-boot, there was no BSOD. Just to be sure, I turned it off, waited about a minute and turned it back on. Again, no error message. Was this the problem? It WAS set for "custom" and had 384 in the first box (which is how much memory I have on this computer) and there was a second box which had....um.....796 (I THINK) in it. Something like that, anyway. When I set it to the system managed setting, those two numbers disappeared.

If this fixes the problem, and I have no more errors, could you explain what this does for my computer's memory? I needed more memory than what I originally had, so I went to 384. Will I still have the use of the same amount of memory? What did this change?

Thanks for your time!

6. dai

dai

for xp i always recommend 512 of ram
    windows sets aside a percentage of your h/d as a defacto extra ram.
    the page file is there so that it can bring things up quicker
    i hope this is understandable
    happy birthday

7. LauraMJ

Dai,

Thank you for the birthday wishes :)

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, there was not enough percentage of what the hard drive sets aside as "extra" RAM for usage? This was causing the problem?

So, the setting I changed only effected what the hard-drive sets aside as if it were RAM? This is called the page file, correct? What was changed, then, was my hard drive available resources, not the actual memory?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but computers really aren't something I understand well. Horses, I understand, not computers! :p However, I'm one of those people that find puzzles and mysteries a compulsion. I will, literally, lose sleep over these things if I don't at least have a grasp of what went wrong. I suppose it must make me feel less intimidated and out-of-control if I at least know what went wrong THIS time :rolleyes:

Thank you all for your patience!

8. dai

dai

yes the setting you altered only altered the virtual memory.
    some part of this had become corrupted and by turning it off,and then back on you start afresh

9. LauraMJ

Well, unfortunately, this morning when I turned the computer on, I got another BSOD. The message this time was ALMOST the same thing. However, the Technical Information numbers were a little different. Here they are:

***STOP: 0x0000004F (0x0000008F, 0x000177C7, 0x000112AB, 0x00000000)

What do I do now? :(

10. dai

dai

turn off the auto reboot,so you get the message in a in an easier to understand format and post it

11. LauraMJ

I'm sorry, dai, I thought I had turned it off?? Isn't that why I got the Blue Screen with the long message on it? I mean, it no longer actually reboots, it just stops the instant the "logon" screen appears and gives me the long message I typed out up above.

Oh gosh, did I do something wrong? :confused:

Okay, here is what I did:

PC_Whiz said to do this--
    The first thing to do is to remove the automatically reboot option and post the STOP error.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.
    Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.
    Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

I did that, and on the next start up, I got this message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent further damage to your computer.

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these directions:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for an Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to disable or remove components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Start up Options and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
    ***STOP: 0x0000004E (0xOOOOOO8F, 0xOOO17FDF, 0x000112B3, 0x00000000)

Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further asstance.

Then, I changed the Virtual Memory setting, as you instructed. After that, I didn't get any more system errors. I turned the computer off and on, (waiting for a while between turning it off and turning it on) several times yesterday. No errors. So I turned it off for the night. This morning, when I turned it on, the computer stopped at the "logon" page, and this screen appeared:

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

Technical Information:
    ***STOP: 0x0000004E (0xOOOOOO8F, 0xOOO177C7, 0x000112AB,, 0x00000000)

Is there another format that I can have the error message in that makes it easier to understand? I do have the Auto-reboot turned off, I just checked the "Start up and Recovery" dialog box and the Automatic restart is UN-checked. Is this corrrect?

12. EvileYe

EvileYe

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT <------ Have you only been getting this error since you upgraded your ram ?

Try removing a stick of ram and see if the problem re-occurs, remove one and then the other to check them both.

The error above is usually associated with bad ram.

13. LauraMJ

I upgraded the computer a couple of weeks ago. New (more) hard drive, new motherboard, new (faster) processer (my old stuff was ancient and very basic) and had Windows XP installed. At the time we did that, because of the new motherboard, we had to change the type of memory for it to be compatible. Since we were doing that, we went on and added another 128 RAM to the 256 I already had. So really, I GUESS so, I had Windows 98 before, but it was also a different type of memory (I was told)

I have NO IDEA how to do this!! Help??

14. EvileYe

EvileYe

Ok Now your confusing me ;)

You say you had to change your ram because of the new Motherboard, but you also say you added 128 to the 256 you already had ?

I am unsure if your ram sticks are compatible,

Here is a link to a tutorial with a few pics that may help you in removing a stick of ram. Make sure your computer is turned off at the wall first, and be aware that static electricity is a no no.

http://groups.msn.com/ComputingSolutionsCenter/installingram.msnw

I also noticed above that you don't have the error if you uninstall Zone alarm ? Is this still the case ?

15. dai

dai

when you installed the new m/b,did you reformat and do a fresh install,if you did'nt you will get problems.
    check the ram is seated properly.
    run ram tester overnight available here
    http://www.memtest86.com/
    i thought this was fixed and you had another problem,that's why i said to turn the reboot off again
    when you upgraded was the power supply included,what size p/s do you have

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/214465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice