1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer reboots continuously

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dchans, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dchans

dchans Thread Starter

My computer is a AMD Semphron 3200+ w/ 2 HDD and 2 CD-ROMS. Upon starting up windows (before the login screen), it will reboot and this happens recursively. Before rebooting, it shows a blue screen for a while but is too fast for me to see the error message.

Before this happened, my computer will suddenly hang after a while with a blue screen saying that not all hardware is connected properly or physical memory dump while just being on in windows. Occassionally, there is also a 'whirling sound' which may require me to tamper with the connections before being able to boot up, after which the sound will disappear.

Anybody has any idea what steps I should follow to troubleshoot this problem? Thanks a lot for your help.

2. abhinav2good

abhinav2good

Try to boot the computer using the safe boot option.

Start the computer and keep the 'F8' key pressed until you see a menu with various options.

Select the 'safe boot' option.

See if your computer still restarts. Also remember to unplug all the external devices from the computer while doing this.

Tell me what happens and then we can work on it further.

3. dchans

dchans Thread Starter

I have solved the problem .. it couldn't even boot up in safe mode before that so I inserted windows 2000 cd, formatted the OS partition and reinstalled everything ...
    works beautifully for now .. think it was a virus that changed the MBR and Boot sector
    Thanks for the help anyway ;)

4. Maverick83

Maverick83

I doubt it was the MBR. The computer only reads the MBR so it knows what it can boot and what files to run to boot. If the MBR was at fault, it wouldn't have booted at all.

5. dchans

dchans Thread Starter

oic .. i thot that was the case coz it hanged during the startup screen in windows .. in your opinion, jz for curiousity, what shld the problem be then? It is definitely related to software coz the only thing I changed was the OS to make it work

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!