Computer reboots immediately after powering up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Karrmer

Note: This isn't my computer, it's a friend of mine's.

His computer:

Asus P5GD2 Premium Motherboard
Pentium 4 3.6 Ghz processor
Radeon X800 XT
1024 DDR ram

He told me that for a few months his computer would shut itself down frequently during the day and wouldn't reboot unless he waited for a while. He figured it was his PSU so he bought a new one - and it stopped for a few days, and then began again. It wasn't too long afterwards that it stopped booting up for more than 2 seconds at all.

I came over to assist him in fixing it because I am generally pretty decent at fixing computers .... though I've never encountered this.

With the motherboard out of the case and by starting with just the processor, it still shut down immediately. Same thing with some RAM and the Video card in - immediate shut down.

We bought a new motherboard and put it in and it did the exact same thing. We tried using a different PSU, the exact same thing happened.

I don't get what is going on. Did his processor blow up? I examined it and it looked fine to me, so it didn't like burn or anything but something sure isn't right.

Any input would be appreciated!

Has he tried booting it up in Safe Mode? If the PC runs in Safe Mode then it sounds like a software issue.

Karrmer

It stays on for literally one, maybe two seconds. It then shuts off immediately.

Nothing comes up on the monitor, you just see the CPU fan turn on for a second and then bam, it's off. You can't turn it back on either without powering down from the back of the PSU and turning it back on.

Good Evening Karrmer, some of the later power supplies have a system where in the case of a power rail overload they simplt shut down and remain latched in the shutdown mode until the power is actually disconnected and then reconnected reenables the circuit.
This sounds like that symptom, so if that is the case something is likely drawing excessive current.
In all likelyhood this will normally be the video card, so it seems that still happens with the video card removed.
I have edited this bit, Looks like your processor may have a problem.
Are all the power leads to the board connected, especially the p4 lead if present.

Use absolute care, do nothing unless the power lead is removed with each activity. (Otherwise cards get killed because of power remaining even when the machine is switched off)
Cheers, qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online