1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer reboots itself !!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gkimble, Nov 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkimble

gkimble Account Disabled Thread Starter

Could someone please tell me why a computer would reboot itself ???

2. Jeerajat

Jeerajat

Ok how old is the pc?
    Have u checked the event viewer for errors?
    Have u checked the bios to c what the system temp is? and cpu temp?

It could be over heating or driver failure?

3. Samsung

Samsung

Since upgrading to a 1.5ghz. P4 and installing XP myself I had that problem. Heres what I found.

1. Memory - Read that one person cured his by installing 133mhz. ram instead of 100. I have 133mhz in mine.

2. Memory 2 - Bad Ram, I have 512 mb in 2 256 sticks and have tested them extensively with Memtest86 2.9 Release (01/Mar/2002) and others. Besides they worked in my previous computer which was a 800mhz P3 with XP for 3-4 months.

3. Settings - This only applies to Boot-up I believe
    Under System Properties
    Hold down [Windows] key between Ctrl and Alt and press [Pause]
    Now to Advanced Tab and you will see Startup and Recovery, choose [Settings]
    Under System Failure uncheck the box that says [_]Automatically restart

4. Overheating - Someone said this may be it. Why does it immediately start back up and work good for days?

As you can see I looked high and low for the solution and found numerous posts where they mentioned they had a AGP GE Force 16. This was apparent in both Athalon and Pentium systems. My problem seem's to be cured since getting rid of the AGP GE Force 16. I installed a AGP Rage 128 Maya AG with 32mb and it no longer reboot's.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/104013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice