1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer reboots itself

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dommat, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dommat

dommat Thread Starter

have a Compaq 6016us running windows XP home. I recently did a system restore from the recovery disks. Now the machine, when I shut it down using start, then click the "turn off" icon, will shut down normally. Then, after about 2-3 minutes, powers on by itself, and reboots back into windows. There are no error messages. I downloaded and installed any available bios updates from Compaq. Oddly, if I unplug the machine while it is powered off, and then plug it back in, it does not power back up on its own. Any ideas?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    2-3 mins - do you have network card like a lan or modem in which may have wake-up enabled.

3. dommat

dommat Thread Starter

I checked the bios and it does not appear that there is wake up on lan entry.

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Sounds like a problem with your household current. Modern PC's never truly power off, the motherboard is always recieveing some power, normally during boot the power supply recieves a "all good" signal from the motherboard before sending power to the rails. In your case, it sounds like some type of line interference from your household current is causeing the PS to interpret it as a "all good" signal from the mobo. If you can get a surge protector with EMI filtering you can check it. You could also try replacing the PS. Although just buying a surge protector with line filtering is most likely cheaper if your present PS is good.

Could be a florescent lamp or large appliance that's causeing the noise..

5. dommat

dommat Thread Starter

thanks I think your theory is sound. I'll try it and post later

6. dommat

dommat Thread Starter

A better surge protector did not correct the problem. I believe it is some kind of hardwarde issue with either the PS power on button dust, or whatever. going to try blowing out the duat etc. thanks for your help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice