1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer reboots on its own

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cjhall999, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cjhall999

cjhall999 Thread Starter

i am using windows xp and for some reason my computer will just reboot. i can be in the middle of somthing or the computer can be idle, it doesn't seem to matter. it does this randomly. i was wondering if anyone could steer me to a possible cause.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Open System Properties (right click MyComputer then click Properties) > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery Settings button. Uncheck the box for "Automatically Restart" under System Failure.

This should (hopefully) cause your system to stop at a blue screen error instead of just rebooting. Note the error name, stop code, and system file name if shown. Post the information here. Example:
    Stop: 0x0000000A (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4) IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL*** Address x has base at x - filename

3. griffinspc

griffinspc

It would also be helpful to know what make and model of PC we're talking about here as well as it's age. Also anything you may have added such as graphics cards, memory, etc. Have you conducted virus and spyware sweeps?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

That is usually either heat or psu caused. Have you "cleaned" inside recently?
    You can take side off and blow in a little fan to see if that stops.
    Also download and install Speedfan to monitor fan speeds and temps and let us know.http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice