1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Reboots on windows logo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mertes, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mertes

mertes Thread Starter

I have a Dell Optiplex 745 that I have imaged. I have done many computers over the last few months the same way. Once the image is installed on the machine, it loads, shows the Dell logo, then shows the Windows XP Logo and reboots in a constant loop.

I have replaced the hard drive. I've replaced the motherboard with a new one. I have replaced the power supply with two different new power supplies.

I've searched many threads and not found an answer to a problem like this. It's practically a brand new computer (not under warranty) and still reboots. The image is not corrupt because I put it on another optiplex 745 a few minutes ago.

Does anyone have a clue why the computer is still rebooting?

2. Irukku

Irukku

Your computer is not just rebooting, it's displaying very quickly a BSOD (blue screen of death), which contains detailed information on the failure that's about to make it restart. Right after you see your POST messages (the very first thing you see when you turn your computer on, be it a manufacturer logo or a lot of numbers), press F8 repeatedly so you get to the O.S. boot menu, there, select "disable automatic restart on system failure" or something, read what the error screen says and tell us. :)

3. mertes

mertes Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. It says:

stop c000021a {Fatal System Error}
    The session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a
    status of 0xc000026c {0x0000000 0x00000000}
    The system has been shut down

Thanks,

4. mertes

mertes Thread Starter

I did not know what the error code was before but I've been searching around so far, the fixes don't seem to have much bearing on my particular setup. There have been no recent updates and I've replaced almost all the hardwarde and individual cables as well.

I'm starting to wonder if this is an issue with the firmware. Could the BIOS not be playing well with the image and sending it into this spiral?

5. Irukku

Irukku

Even though your case is different, you can try to follow the same steps of solutions to similar problems, such as the one below, which seemed the kind of solution for your problem to me. :)

Quoted from: http://www.techforlunch.com/bsod-session-manager-initialization-fails-with-status-0xc000026c/

1. Boot with your original Windows XP CD. You need one which will allow you to get into the Recovery Console.
    2. Once booted, choose to use the Recovery Console, usually by pressing “r”.
    3. You may need to press “enter” here to choose a different keyboard layout, otherwise you might have a hard time typing the next commands.
    4. Choose which Windows installation you need to log into. if there’s only one on that machine, it will be “1″.
    5. Type in the Administrator password. Yes, there is one, you had to supply one during the Windows XP installation.
    6. Change folders using: cd WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB925902$\spuninst
    7. Run this command in the folder: batch spuninst.txt
    8. If the command ran correctly, you should see a spuninst.tag file, using the “dir” command.
    9. reboot the computer.
    Please try that if possible and report the results.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    When you said you imaged your system, are you saying that you made an image of the drive with the os that was installed on this particular computer, or you have an image that was made on a different computer that you tried to restore to this computer?

7. mertes

mertes Thread Starter

Well, the only problem is I don't have an XP install disc so recovery console is something I can't get into.

What we've done is that an image was created for us once an optiplex 745 was initially setup. Since then, we've used this image on hundreds of 745's without incident. To test the image after this particular computer failed to boot properly, I installed it on another 745 that was brand new and the image worked cleanly.

This is when I started to doubt the hardware in this machine. With most of the critical hardware replaced multiple times I'm finding myself at a loss as to why this is continuing to happen. I'm wondering if the BIOS is the problem and needs to be updated (though i don't see why if an identical machine works without a problem)

8. mertes

mertes Thread Starter

Microsoft offers alot of troubleshooting for this error but, unfortunately, the methods they describe do not address the fact that this error occurs on boot-up and I cannot get a command prompt or boot into any other mode (safe mode, last known good config. etc.)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice