1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer reboots right after startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nwebb89, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nwebb89

nwebb89 Thread Starter

My computer was in sleep mode so I held the power button down on I could reseat my audio card, it gets unseated pretty easily. Anyhow I booted back up and got the message that it could not resume previous windows session. I attempted to repair that did not work so I just told it to reboot and start fresh. Now it won't boot. Just constantly reboot

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, no one has any idea what we are working on [other than you] Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact mb installed, cpu, ram, video card, exact pw supply installed, etc, etc.
    If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, then post the exact make and model.

Next it would really help if you posted what os you are running; win xp, vista, win7, linux, etc.

3. nwebb89

nwebb89 Thread Starter

Sorry about that.
    MB- ASUS p7p55d-e lx
    CPU- i5 875k ( i believe, i know its an i5)
    RAM - gskil ripjaw F3-12800CL9D4GBRL(8 gigs/4 sticks)
    GPU - Nvidia GTX 465
    PS- XION PowerReal AXP-850R14N 850W ATX 12V v2.2 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
    OS - Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

4. marbski

marbski

try to install back the operating system,,, it seems your operating system is corrupted or drivers issue..

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most likely you have corrupted some files on the hard drive however before attempting any type of repair, test the hardware. Download the hard drive mfg's diagnostic and test the drive. Download memtest and test the memory. Both of these run from bootable media ie CD or flash drive; no need for an os to even be installed.

Once both of these tasks are completed AND you have no failures, then boot with your win7 repair disk and attempt a repair. Hopefully it can do a auto repair however if not, choose the cmd prompt. Here are the list of commands to type. Start with bootrec to repair the boot record. You may need bcdedit as well.

Console Command

Description

attrib

Change permissions on files.

Bootrec

You can use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) to troubleshoot and repair the master boot record (MBR), boot sector,and Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store

bcdedit

Displays and allows you to change how Windows boots up. This command is useful for people who are having trouble with the Windows Boot Manager

cd

Changes the current directory

chkdsk

Checks a hard disk for errors and attempts to repair them.

copy

Copy a file from one location to another.

del

Deletes a file

dir

Lists the files and folders in the current directory

diskpart

Load the Windows disk management program. From this program you can create, delete, shrink, and expand your existing partitions as well as get information about partitions and hard drives

icacls

Change file and folder permissions and display or modify access control lists (ACLs)

mkdir

Creates a new folder

more

Displays the content of a file one page at a time

move

Moves a file or a folder

reg

Perform Windows Registry operations.

ren

Rename a file or folder

rd

Remove an empty folder

type

Display the contents of a file

xcopy

Copy a folder or files to another location

6. nwebb89

nwebb89 Thread Starter

Thanks all for the tip and help. I first removed the battery in the motherboard hoping to reset the bios and any settings that may have gotten messed up and it booted up after putting it back in after about 20 seconds. So thankfully this problem was solved! :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090970

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice