1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer refuses to boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dmackinn54, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmackinn54

dmackinn54 Thread Starter

Hello Everyone!
    A friend of mine has a computer that refuses to boot. It will proceed right until the point of detecting all of the drives (which it does without problem), but then it just stops. We've tried forcing it to boot from a cd or boot disk, but the same problem occurs. Any ideas?
    Thnaks for any help you can provide.

2. brite750

brite750

do you get the screen at all or just blank? if you have a screen what does it say before it stops?, can you get into bios?

3. dmackinn54

There is a screen (the screen where it tells you it has initialized plug and play and all that stuff)- it get to the point where it says "detecting primary master" etc.... . And it does seem to see all of the drives on the computer. I can get to the BIOS as well.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some more info would be helpful.

Is this a new build or a system that had been running fine?

Have you installed any new hardware or software?

It would help if you listed exact specs ie make and model of motherboard, video card, brand of power supply, etc. If this is a store bought build, then the mfg and model number.

5. dmackinn54

This was a system that had been running fine (not new). No new hardware or software was installed in any recent time. exact specs are going to be next to impossible to get - the computer is owned by an older couple that neglected to keep the documentation. I can tell you that the motherboard is an ASUS of unknown model and that the power supply is a Sunplex. It's not a brand name build.

6. dmackinn54

An amendment - there was new antivirus software installed in the last few days. However it has rebooted properly in between then and now.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, what I would do would be to pull the molex power connectors from ALL drives; cd and hd. Next pull any add-in cards like nic, sound, etc. Leave in just the video card. Have your keyboard and mouse connected. Now power up and see if the system will post and you can enter the bios. If it does, reconnect one device at a time rebooting after each one. Find which device has failed and is stopping the post.

If it still hangs, the next thing would be to inspect the mb with a bright light. Look for any bulging / leaking capacitors on the board. If you find any, replace the board OR find a shop that can recap the board.

Next would be memory. Swap the memory with a known working chip. The next thing I would suspect would be the power supply, however your symptoms do not make me think you have a failed one. The very last item I would suspect would be the cpu itself. In reality they are pretty hard to hurt unless you overclock it.

8. dmackinn54

I may be wrong, but it seems that the computer already gets past the POST. I can already get to the bios as well.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you are in the bios, does it show your hd and cd drives correctly?

10. dmackinn54

The BIOS menu does recognize all the drives correctly.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Start with testing the memory and the hd. Download both memtest and the hd utility for checking the drive. Both of these run from bootable media; either CD or floppy. Start with testing your hardware.

12. woshi008

woshi008

Do you see this on screen:"verifying DMI Pool Data...". If you do, try like this. Format system dipartition, and reinstall OS.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice